Sunday, October 16, 2011

FO: Norobi

Myra's not the only one knitting around here! I finally finished a project that I cast on before Duncan (who is now 10 months old) was born.
And it wasn't even a very complicated or large project either. This is Norobi, a knitted Obi style belt. I alternate between thinking that this is a really fun and funky idea and thinking that it is just odd. Since I wasn't sure how I felt about it, I used some leftover RHSS, so if I hate it, at least the yarn wasn't dear.
The main reason I decided to knit this was the way the edges and ties are constructed. The edges are finished with an applied I-cord and the ties are stand alone I-cord. I wanted to learn this technique, and this seemed like a good way. As you can see if you compare the top (uneven and loose) edge to the bottom (tighter and more polished looking), it was a learning process for sure. It didn't help that I put this project away for months while in the middle of the applied I-cord and when I picked it back up, I had totally forgotten how to do it!
Here it is from the back. It looks quite sleek and cute on Sandra Dee, but then everything looks good on her. I'm not even sure how I will wear this. What do you think? How would you go about styling a knitted obi? Or would you??

In the sewing world, Rapunzel is coming together. We had a final fitting this morning and measured the hem.
I still need to set in the sleeves (that one is pinned in place), hem the underskirt and overskirt and apply the trim to the overskirt hem. Myra loves it and I had to fight her to get it off. At least this one looks like a win! It better be! It wasn't difficult to construct, per se. It was just tedious. And I hate sewing polyester organza.

14 comments:

Beth said...

The costume is definitely a winner. You won't be able to get her to stop smiling in it.

Karin said...

Your daughter looks thrilled to bits, even with just one sleeve! The belt looks great.

Witch Hazel said...

Actually, even though the top is lose, that knitted obi-style belt is really cool looking! Will you make another now that you know how?
Also, Rapunzel is just too cute!! Even missing a sleeve. She will be adorable on Halloween. :)

Tanit-Isis said...

Both belt and Rapunzel look great! As to the belt, while I'd be hesitant to wear it myself (me and waist-bulk are not a good combination) I totally think you have the figure to pull it off. And I certainly wouldn't've noticed the slight differences in tension if you hadn't pointed them out. It is a really cute style. :D

Susan said...

Very nice! I've been slowly working on a knit project, too.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

My Japanese MIL gave me an obi, but it's ornate and there's no way I could wear it. Your's looks great and I bet you could find some way to do it. It made me think of Sheila - she wears lots of belted clothes....I bet it would look great with one of your dresses? And LOVE the princess dress!

Victoria said...

Gorgeous belt! It was worth the wait. And your little doll is darling in her costume:)

Tawny said...

Awesome job! I love the belt. You could totally wear it the same way Sanda Dee is wearing it - with a long black sweater, or possible a sweater in an autumn colour like brown or orange?

MushyWear said...

I think this belt is a neat idea. I'd probably style it with a peasant style lightweight linen dress in a leaf green or any shade of brown or cream.

Jillybejoyful said...

Omegosh, that obi is ALMOST enough to make me forget that I did not get the knitting gene....awesome!

Ginnie said...

You're so brave... :) I sewed tulle-normous princess dresses for both of my girls last year. Learned my lesson good. But Rapunzel looks super adorable!

michal said...

what a pretty Rapunzel!

Marjie said...

Oh, Rapunzel is delightful. I don't doubt you had trouble getting it off her.

The year my youngest was 2, I made him a tiger costume. He wore it every single day (over his regular clothing) until Christmas. I was happy that he wasn't quite as excited about being a tiger the year he was 3, but maybe that's because I made him a little blanket out of "tiger fur" for his birthday, 2 days before Halloween. He still takes it to bed every night. Funny what things a child will cling to. (And, yes, tigers are his favorite animal).

Kyle said...

LOVED how you called it the final fitting... :)