Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sewing Tote

I am so excited about a new sewing group that is forming at my church! We are all going to get together and teach each other how to sew from patterns. I am really looking forward to it, but I realized that I need to get some things ready. My first task was to make a tote to carry all of my supplies. I found this cute tutorial for a Quilted Garden Tote on Sew, Mama, Sew and thought - Perfect!The front has some little quilted pockets for buttons and small notions.
Roomy interior for fabric and other big notions and tools. I added a pocket for patterns to the lining.
Here is the back. That big pocket is exactly the right size for my shears. I am mostly happy with it, although I'm not sure I'm in love with the handle length and placement. Ah well. I can't wait to put it to use!

This is my first real attempt at quilting anything. First may I ask, What is with the 1/4 inch seam allowances!?! I am so not that precise! Other than that, it all went OK. I can really see where a long arm quilting machine would come in handy for a big quilt. Even for quilting this small bag, I was bunching up fabric under my machine.

2 comments:

Myra said...

1/4 inch seam allowances are for less bulk, I think. And they need to be pretty precise or pieces may not line up or blocks may not be close in size.

Carrie said...

Very cute bag...love the inside lining fabric. I'm jealous that you're going to have a sewing group. I only wish I could find something like that around here. You'll have to let us know how the first GTG goes.