Sunday, May 3, 2009

Inspiration

I love the Internet! I get so many great sewing ideas there! Flickr groups are amazing, and I get tons of ideas on Craftster. Take a look at my sidebar for some great blogs of sewing mamas who inspire me to create.

But today's post is about two of the amazing ladies who I know personally who inspire me to create. There are more, but I have pictures of these two. :-)

The first is my friend, Amanda. She made this adorable dress for Myra.
Isn't it cute?!? It is New Look 6576, but Amanda is the master of those cute little touches that make a garment one of a kind. I love these polka dot appliques!
The blue ribbons make me happy, too.
You can't see it in the pictures, but the hem is top stitched with two different colors of contrasting thread. Cute!! And the bloomers are the same colors as the dress, but reversed. I love it!!

And then there is my mother. She taught me everything I know about sewing (although not everything she knows!). She sent us these cute outfits for the kids.
A shirt and shorts for Logan. The shirt is made from some scraps of a blouse she made for herself. I think the fabric is awesome as a boy's shirt, although it is also a beautiful blouse. The outfit was made with Butterick 6030.
And then there is this absolutely ridiculously cute outfit for Myra. She got the fabric at a quilt show. How freaking adorable is that!! Here is what mom says about the construction, "The bodice of the dress is from Butterick 4009, ignoring their construction instructions, and, instead: construct the shell and lining each in toto, then attaching at the neck (not forgetting to understitch), then, adding a bound bias edge at the armscye. The skirt of the dress is 3.5 in wide strips of fabric, each of whose length is 2.5X greater than the bottom circumference of the tier above it. The hat is sort of from Butterick 6030, but I ignored the brim and substituted a ruffle. The shorts were from the bottom half of a McCall pattern for a romper that is so old it cost $0.35, and was copyrighted in 1976." You go, Mom.


Here are the kids modeling their new duds. For more photos, you can also see our family blog here.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I was admiring Myra's dress from afar and didn't have a chance to talk to you about it--it's so cute!

DNAgallows said...

You are too kind! I am a bit embarrassed to be posted alongside your mom. She is so impressive! I don't think after years of practice that I will get anywhere near her expertise. I think you are much more talented than I too! I will have to try the cute ruffle dress too! I love the fabric!