Monday, July 24, 2017

Simplicity 1595 emergency recital dress

She looks carefree here, but a week ago, all was not calm as she realized that her piano recital was in a week and SHE DIDN'T HAVE A WHITE DRESS! It was urgent, especially as we spent the three days prior to her recital out of town, which gave me 2 days to sew it. That child...
Being a mom of small kids, I don't actually have a lot of white in my stash, but I had this bit of white seersucker shot with metallic silver that is quite suitable for angel wear. It also fit into my Stashbusting theme of deep stash, as it's at least 6 years old. Win-win.
Since I was quite short on time, I chose Simplicity 1595, as it is a pullover style with no zippers or lining or anything complex. The neckline and sleeves are gathered with elastic and the skirt and bodice are gathered into the waistband.
In back, there is a waist tie for shaping that is sewn into the waistband at the side seams. The skirt is nice and full and has a sweet little ruffle at the hem.
At the recital, she added a halo and wings to complete her angel look. If you'd like to see her piece, there's a video here.
Unfortunately, since I was a bit rushed, the fit isn't as perfect as I might have liked. The neckline is far too wide, and Myra reports that the waistband is itchy, so we had to add a tank top underneath. You can see the tank peeking out on her shoulder. It actually gives the impression of a square neckline, so I kind of like it.
At first, Myra wasn't thrilled with it, but in the end, it was just right for her recital. Yay for a last minute sewing win!

4 comments:

ybennett said...

Cute dress! What a beautiful child, but I am most impressed by that recital. Wow! Please tell Myra that she has a fan in Alabama! I sure hope she continues, as that will be the perfect talent to showcase when she represents her state in the Miss America pageant one day. :)

Vanessa said...

You did an amazing job for it being last minute! Your daughter looks lovely!

C Berry said...

How sweet and what a lucky girl to be playing such a beautiful piano with the perfect dress for the occasion. I hope she continues to learn since it is one of my favourite things to be working in the kitchen with my (now big) son playing piano.

frenie said...

These design clothes online ideas are exquisite. I hope your day was as lovely as you looked!