Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Jalie 3461 - the Eleonore pull on pant

I haven't been buying many new patterns lately. My pattern stash is immense and it is starting to feel like I'm never going to make even half of them so getting new patterns seems a bit silly, but when Jalie announced that they were releasing a pull on pant for stretch wovens, I pre-ordered it immediately.
Then I shoved everything I should be making to the back of the queue and got up early a few mornings to sew them up. Sewing in the summer is challenging for me, but I really wanted these pants. So, here we are - Jalie 3461, the Eleonore pull on pant!
I did make a few changes right out of the gate. First off, Jalie calls these a low rise pant. 10 years and 3 kids ago I wore low rise pants, but that ship has sailed. I pulled out my trusty Jalie jeans pattern and compared the two. Based on that comparison, I raised the rise 2 inches. Since the waistband of the pull on pant pattern is wider than the jeans pattern, the end result is a pretty high waist, so keep that in mind if you are making rise alterations. The waistband is wide!
For the crotch curve, I just copied the alterations I used on the Jalie jeans. It worked well and I'm happy with the fit there. As for the legs, the pants are meant to be semi fitted, so since I wanted a more skinny type pant, I slimmed the legs down two sizes below the hip, then had to remove an additional 3 inches from the ankle, tapering up to the fullest part of the calf.
They're super comfortable and so quick to sew up! I'll definitely be making them again, and again and again!
Once final caution for the curvy girl, the pattern instructs you to use elastic to stabilize the waistband. The length of elastic you use is the same as the length of the waistband pattern piece, but if you have a small waist and fuller hips and backside, you will want your waistband to be snug in the back so that the pants pull in to the back waist. In order to do this myself, I simply measured my elastic on my own waist, then used the full length of the front waistband pattern piece and the remainder for the back piece. That meant that the elastic was significantly shorter in the back and had to be stretched to fit. As a result, my pants fit snugly in the back and don't slide down and gape.

11 comments:

Kyle said...

Great pants! Thanks for the tips for those with swaybacks.

ladykatza said...

I lurv them! That's good to know about the rise and the back. I wonder if just adding elastic to the back with buttonholes would do it too.

www.tresbienensemble.com said...

These are super cute! I think the fabric you chose really suits the style of these pants perfectly.

Sofie M said...

I'm surprised how much I love your version of these pants. They look great on you. Same, I have too many patterns and not buying any (except second hand at op shops - that's saving them isn't it, isn't it??).

Carolyn Norman said...

These are fantastic! You used the perfect fabric to make these!

Elizabeth said...

These look amazing! The print is so fun and the fit looks great. I guess I saw the lines when the pattern came out and thought that this was just the Jalie skinny Jean I've been waiting years now for. I didn't realize they were a pull on pant. Sneaky awesome elastic! So would you say these fit more like a jegging?

P E Hudson said...

I love this pant on your Katie and I'm dying to buy the pattern myself!!

Katie Deshazer said...

I don't think buttonhole elastic is stable enough. Unless you needed it to be adjustable, I think doing the buttonhole method would be more of a hassle, and then you'd need to add interfacing to the waistband, since the elastic is more flimsy.

Cocos Loft said...

Darling pants! and I love your printed fabric. Thks for the tips on the rise.

Sew Exhausted said...

I heard about this pattern recently! So nice to see them made out. They look great!

Shirleanne said...

I tried to make a pair and I was not as successful as you! Since I had a great fit with the Jalie jeans, I will do as you mentioned and use that as a guide.