Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Simplicity Maxi Mashup

Summer is all about maxi dresses for me! I love them and I wear them all the time when the weather gets warm. So, when I got this fabric from Heather, I knew immediately what it was going to be.
My favorite maxi dress pattern is Simplicity 3503, which I have made a couple of times. I really do love this pattern, but it is a bit distinctive, and I didn't want a bunch of the same dress in my closet. My favorite thing about this pattern is the skirt. The front gathers are flattering, and the length is perfect. And it has pockets. Easy to add, I know, but it's so convenient when they are already a part of the pattern!
I decided to use the bodice from Simplicity 3678, which I've made before and really like the fit of. The only dislike I have about this pattern is that the midriff band is a bit skinny. I have a long torso, and it looks unbalanced on me. The midriff band from 3503 is perfect though, and it fit onto this bodice really well.
From the back, you can see that the bodice is full coverage, unlike the surplice style of 3503. The tiny cap sleeves are cute, too.
The only real change I made to the bodice (which I also did on my last version) was to finish the neckline with a snug band. I love how this fits the surplice top to my chest. No worries about gaping or wearing a camisole, and I can leave my safety pins at home.
I also ought to mention that I've decided to participate in Me Made May this year. I probably won't post more than just a roundup here on the blog, but you can see my outfits each day on Instagram. I'm hoping this helps boost my flagging mojo. Since I already got a dress made this month, I think it's working!!

14 comments:

Carolyn Norman said...

This is a great maxi on you! So glad to see you blogging again.

Becky W said...

Looks great! And now I'm kind of wishing that I'd thought to use the skirt from 3503 when I did my own maxi hack of 3678 earlier this year. I have both patterns, though I've never actually made 3503, and it probably would have been easier than both maternifying and lengthening the other. Oh well.

Katie Deshazer said...

Thanks! The skirts are super similar, but it is nice to have some of the work done for you! :)

Katie Deshazer said...

It feels good to sew for me again!

Lori said...

Beautiful dress, maxi dresses are so wonderful.

Tasha said...

Nice fabric!

Katie Deshazer said...

Thanks! I love them!

Katie Deshazer said...

Thank you!

Candice B said...

Beautiful dress!

Elizabeth said...

GORGEOUS fabric! I love how the print flows around you--it really makes the most of the maxi style. If you're trying to get back your sewjo, I think you've made great strides here with this dress!

Katie Deshazer said...

Thank you!

Katie Deshazer said...

Print placement was tricky! There was barely enough yardage and one side of the yardage was more densely printed with orchids. I'm happy with how it came out though - partly luck and partly planning.

Heather Bee said...

I neglected to mention on facebook that your pattern placement is excellent! I know that must have been difficult considering how the orchids were placed.

Rhonda Buss said...

Simply beautiful!