Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pattern Parcel #6: La la la la Ladies!

Hey sewing sistas! You know what makes me want to kick up my heels and dance? New patterns! You, too? Well, have I got a great deal for you!
Pattern Parcel #6: Choose your own price and support DonorsChoose. Win/win!
If you've been following me long at all, you know how much I loooove these pattern parcels. If you haven't already heard about them, pop over to the website (just click the pic above) to get all the info about how this works, and what your donation is doing to help others. It's seriously awesome and worth supporting. The patterns are a huge bonus.
Speaking of the bonus, this would be the Bonus pattern for this parcel! One of the cool elements of Pattern Parcel is that you get to pick your price and how much you want to donate. But to sweeten the deal, if you choose to pay more than $32 for the parcel, you get an extra pattern - the Bluegingerdoll Odette dress!
The Odette has a lovely vintage-inspired shape, with a flared skirt and fitted bodice. A slim waisband accentuates your waist and a cute, optional neckline insert frames the face. The v neckline is modest enough to wear without the insert, and there are three sleeve options, so this dress is very versatile.
I made mine out of a pink pinstripe suiting with white contrast, for a girly menswear inspired look. The dress is fully lined (love that!) with heavy satin, so the flared skirt has plenty of swish!
I made a few alterations for fit. My original FBA left me with giant, pointy darts, so I converted the front bodice to princess seams to conserve the sleek shape. I did a broad back alteration and narrow front shoulder, which is typical for me. In retrospect, I wish I had shortened the bodice a wee bit above the bust. You can see my insert is wrinkling a bit. My muslin didn't, but I didn't muslin the insert. Live and learn.
The fit in back is divine though. I only needed my broad back adjustment for a perfect fit back there. I also added about 3 1/2 inches to the hem. I wanted a below-knee length. I find a slightly longer skirt more practical for my life, and I love how elegant it feels.
Did I mention that the pattern includes pockets?? Pocketses, precious. They are a must for me. And these are well-placed and roomy. Perfect for keys, my phone, Lego minifigs, Barbie shoes and Matchbox cars. #momlyfe, y'all.
Pattern Parcel #6: Choose your own price and support DonorsChoose. Win/win
Now that I've sewn up the Odette, there are a few more in this parcel I have my eye on. Seriously, you guys, this is a great group of patterns. Head on over and get them now, while you can name your own price and support a great cause.

12 comments:

Sara C said...

I've been looking forward to seeing this dress on someone! I would have loved to make it myself, but grading the full bust down to my much smaller size seemed like a lot of work...It looks amazing!

Lori said...

Stunning dress and I think it looks marvelous on you. Perfectly your style.

EmSewCrazy said...

This is GORGEOUS!! Love the fabric you chose for this!

prttynpnk said...

I love this dress on you- retro classy, gorgeous!

Jill @ Made with Moxie said...

I just can't even. I mean, wow. You are all sorts of freaking awesome. You look stunning in this dress. And the pattern matching?!? (bows) You're a master.

Thanks for all you do!

ladykatza said...

I'm so glad you soldiered on with this dress because it is perfect on you. just another thing to be the copy cat.

Vanessa said...

I really love this on you!!

oonaballoona said...

this is perfection on you!!!

Sew Exhausted said...

Menswear inspired! Genius! And worth copying! lol... I am now on the hunt for a piece of menswear fabric for me! Nice work... I love those white cuffs... and the pink buttons!

Sip the Diva said...

Beautiful I love it! and the shoes are perfect with it! Where did you get the shoes?

Katie Deshazer said...

I think I bought them on Amazon. They're Madden Girl.

Cari Homemaker said...

Beautiful dress. The pinstripes were an inspired choice, especially with the vintage-look inset and cuffs.