Monday, September 29, 2014

New baby!!

Last week my sweet hubby and I had an hour to kill between dropping off one kid and picking up the others, so we decided to check out the local Antique Mall.
We didn't have a whole lot of time, and I honestly wasn't looking particularly closely at anything. Mitch spotted this elaborate cabinet, and only upon closer inspection did he realize that there was a sewing machine in it. He called me over, and after I started breathing again, we took a peek at the price.
I should mention at this point that a treadle sewing machine has been a dream of mine for some time. And this one *gasp* she's so beautiful! And that cabinet! I have no words. But I know very little about machines this old, and even less about cabinets, and we HAD to go to get the other two kids, so I walked away, me heart breaking a little more with each step. I should mention at this point that Mitch thought we should buy it right off. I should listen to him more...
Obviously, this tale has a happy ending! While waiting for the kids to get out of school, I did a bit of homework and determined that the price the Antique shop was asking was a very reasonable one, and we went back to get her. I didn't breathe on the whole drive there. What if someone else had gotten her?? But there she was, waiting for me. It was meant to be.
She wasn't in perfect condition. Not surprising, since she's 114 years old. I cleaned and oiled her, then replaced her belt and the rubber ring on her bobbin winder. But even before all that, she moved like a dream. So smooth! My modern machines are jealous.
Even though I don't know a lot about machines this old, my clue to her age was the direction of the needle thread. You thread her left to right, instead of front to back. I looked her serial number up in the Singer database and discovered that she is a Model #27, built in 1900. She's in amazing shape for her age!
Her decals and paint are a bit worn, particularly on the machine bed where she'd have seen the most action. It is clear that she was used and cared for well. I wish I knew her history. Imagine the things she has sewn!
Her face plate is in excellent shape, although it could use a bit of a cleaning. I love the ivy design on it.
The treadle mechanism is in beautiful condition though. Even the paint is still shiny! Replacing the belt was easy peasy.
And just look at that perfect stitch. Nora and I are going to have a lot of fun together.

11 comments:

Brooke said...

If only today's Singer machines were still made like the old ones! There is absolutely no comparison between vintage machines and the new plastic machines. I'm so glad you saved this one from sitting unused and unloved - she's beautiful!

Clare Szabo said...

Wow she's so beautiful. I love imagining her history xx

Kristine Balinski said...

Congrats! I agree, it would be awesome to hear the stories these old machines have to tell!!

Vanessa said...

Have fun with your new acquisition!!

Heather Bee said...

She's beautiful! I hope the two of you have many happy hours together.

Marjie said...

I felt the same when I found my treadle machine a few years back. It's the best for hemming jeans for my husband, who needs a 35" inseam, thus ensuring that I'm never lacking opportunities to hem his new Levis!

EmSewCrazy said...

It's gorgeous! What a great find! Those old machines can beat the pants off some of these new ones.

Splinters & Stitches said...

So beautiful! That cabinet just has me drooling and green and with envy. I have my family's old treadle in my garage, she's a bit rough (tho I know she's been used within the last 30 years), but the cabinet is in TERRIBLE shape (I want to try to build a new one from scratch--someday). Do you recommend any references on how to clean them up? Mine's a New Home, not a Singer, but I'm sure they're fairly similar.

Katie Deshazer said...

Perfect! Thank you!! I'll go check it out now.

Katie Deshazer said...

There is a Vintage Sewing Machine group on Facebook that had been an amazing resource for me. They're so helpful!

Claire said...

That's so beautiful! Mine's not nearly that ornate and is from 1913, lol.