Monday, September 15, 2014

Bow Girls!

A few years ago, I bought this cute bow print thermal knit from Girl Charlee. It took me forever to finally sew it up!
My original plan for this fabric was a sweatshirt style top for me. I wanted something comfortable just for hanging out at home, but even at home I like to be cute.
I wanted a sleek fit and I thought a dropped shoulder would be fun. I started with the Kitschy Coo Comino Cap top, which I love the fit of, and just drafted a semi-fitted sleeve. Instead of a band at the neckline, I bound it with my coverstitch, which made the neckline a little bit higher.
I love the slightly scooped back neckline of this top. It's so pretty. You can see the dropped shoulder a bit better from the back. I think it's a fun detail. It nods to the wide shouldered 80s trend without the linebacker shoulder pads.
Since the Comino Cap Top is so economical of fabric, even with long sleeves, I had a ton of fabric left over.
Myra got the bulk of the leftovers. I pulled out an Ottobre raglan tee pattern I've made for her twice before. It is from the 04/2013 issue and has a nice fitted shape with a bound neckline. I made the sleeves 3/4 length, as Myra has trouble keeping long sleeves out of messes. And because her cute baby-chubby wrists slay me.
When I showed Myra her new top, she immediately wanted to know where Teresa's was. Ooops. Back to the sewing room! I was initially trepidatious about this print on Barbie, since the scale is rather large, but it worked out nicely with a single motif centered on the front of the tee, and at the sleeve hems. Teresa got a bound neckline too. The pattern is a blend of Simplicity 4719 and 4702.
So, between sewing a trio of thermal knit tees, and this weekend's extremely pleasant weather, I think I'm ready to start sewing for Fall and Winter. Bring on the wool! I'm ready!

12 comments:

Carol Ware said...

I absolutely love this trio!!!!!!!! Great job!

lin3arossa said...

This post just made my cuteness radar explode!

www.tresbienensemble.com said...

Very cute tops! You all (three) look great. And, I agree, I'm ready for wool! Hooray for fall.

Lori said...

Great looking tops for all three of you, how fun.

Heather Bee said...

Love, love, love all of these. All you girls look lovely in your bow tops.

EmSewCrazy said...

LOVE it! What fun tops!

Kathy Sews said...

Adorable all around!!!

Rhonda said...

What fun!!! Even Barbie! You are creating the most wonderful memories :)

Becky W said...

Myra looks so happy with her top matching yours and Teresa's! What a fun way to use up your leftovers!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I love how well the print worked out for Teresa! All three of you look very cute in your tops.

Ashley Louise said...

I'm pretty sure I would have died to have a mom or big sister even half as cool as you! Myra is in the middle of building so many happy memories with you:)

Jessamy Rose said...

I love this so much. You ladies are fabulous.