Friday, September 19, 2014

Barbie's Fab Night Life

A few months ago, I was tagged in a Flickr photo challenge, with the theme of "Urban Safari". I thought it would be fun to make a few animal print gowns for the girls, and let them duke it out for Mulder's affections. That seems like something he would enjoy.
I picked up a few animal printed fat quarters and made a few plans, but then the move got in the way, and life got crazy. I finally got all the dresses together and put together my diorama for pictures.
I started with Trichelle's dress. I love this grey snakeskin and I thought the black and grey would suit her. She's so fierce, I wanted a vampy dress for her. This is McCalls 658. This is an older pattern, so I did make a few size modifications for Trichelle's belly button body, but otherwise made it as designed. I love the neckline detail. I added some large hotfix studs to bring the eye up to her beautiful face.
The next outfit I made was Violette's. The dress is made with Advance 9938. I made this view for Midge, so I didn't have to make any alterations for fit. I wanted the giraffe printed cotton to be the star of the show, so I didn't embellish the dress, but I did make Violette a coordinating belt out of a scrap of leather from an old purse. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
I decided against animal print for Dana. She's Mulder's lady fair, and I wanted her to stand out. Her gown is from a pattern I found on Pinterest. Sadly, it is not credited, so I don't know where it came from, but it is super sexy! The fabric is a silver embossed gold knit. Dana has an Obitsu body, which is much slimmer and bustier than Barbie's body. I took in the dress significantly in the side seams of the skirt and back of the halter portion. If I had made it in a woven, I think I'd have had to deepen the bust dart as well.
I think Trichelle and Violette look amazing in their gowns, and I had tons of fun making them and styling them. Making Violette's belt was easier than I thought. I'll definitely be making more of those.
Of course, the other girls never really had a chance...

7 comments:

Deb said...

Love the whole shebang, you are very clever. The dresses must be so fiddle to make ☺️

P E Hudson said...

Adorable! Who knew about these hidden talents:)

Kyle said...

you are a riot! how did you make that tiny belt? where did you get those tiny grommets from??

ladykatza said...

LOVE it. I wish I could wear Scully's dress. Maybe when they invent anti-grav bras.

Heather Bee said...

Haa haa haa! I love this almost as much as Mulder.

Katie Deshazer said...

I cut the strap of a purse. The teeny grommets and buckle came from a shop in Hong Kong that specializes in doll sewing. They are ridiculously cute.

slauditory said...

So amazing!