Friday, April 8, 2011

Simplicity 2996

Well, after approximately 6453 miles of handsewing, I finished my Easter dress! I'm still not sure I'm completely in love, but there are some seriously great details in this dress. I really appreciated everyone's comments about styling this dress. Hopefully you can see where I have incorporated them. You all had some wonderful thoughts.

The pattern is Simplicity 2996, alas now OOP. It is a princess seamed shirtdress and includes cup sized pattern pieces - love that! The fabric is a poly rayon linen look from Hancock's. I used Pro-Weft interfacing on the facings and collar and Pro-Sheer Elegance on the hem.
I used the clean finish technique from Pam's blog for the facings, and the just look gorgeous. The edge is soft and smooth. Seam finishes were otherwise serged. I thought about lining this dress, but I really wanted it to be a breezy, summer-y dress, so I left it unlined.
Here is the sleeve detail. Isn't the little tab cute? The sleeve is faced rather than hemmed and the tab is caught in the facing.
After all of your great comments about styling this dress, I wanted an understated, but still pretty button that would fit into the vintage feel. I went withe these floral ones, since I felt they were versatile, but still sweet.
Here is the pocket. I'm not sure why it is so dark in this photo. The color in the other pictures is more true to life. Anyway, the pocket is inserted into the front princess seam. The welt is stitched down on the sides rather than inserted like a true welt pocket. I stitched it down by hand, as I didn't want there to be any topstitching on the dress. I really wanted to preserve the clean lines.
I really loved all of your ideas for dressing up this dress, particularly the suggestions for a contrasting belt or scarf. I think red will be great with it, but I was taken with Uta's idea of pairing it with brown, so here it is with a chunky brown and blue necklace and a brown belt. What do you think?

20 comments:

Myra said...

Beautiful - I like it better with the brown belt.

Cindy said...

Those are the perfect touches!

Beangirl said...

I really like the brown!!

I was a little nervous about this dress for you earlier, but it looks great! It looks good with the self tie and it really looks good with the brown. So already a multiple win.

Kitschy Coo said...

I think it came out really great! Looking forward to the modelled pics :)

Adelaide B said...

I love the way this turned out! Very classic.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

So pretty, and it is in my favorite color! I want to make at least 3 shirtdresses this summer and you are making me impatient. Love the pink top from the last post; the close fit is so much nicer than the envelope view.

gwensews said...

That's a very pretty dress. You and your children will all be in blue for Easter? The trend this spring is color-blocking and high contrast. You could try a bright kelly green with the dress, purple, or yellow.

gMarie said...

The dress is fabulous. I love it with the brown belt and necklace.

Also - the pink top - great job! g

Victoria said...

Very pretty dress! Way to go to be done with Easter sewing ahead of schedule. I need to get a move on myself!

angie.a said...

I love it! What a classic dress too.

Sarahbelle said...

It's great!!!! I love the color! I'm not diggin' the self-fabric belt -- but I like the contrasting one you showed. I feel as though it needs a touch of lace -- mayhaps a wide stiffened lace waist cincher??

Anonymous said...

I love the contrast belt, and the buttons really do pop against the blue. I too am so wanting to make a shirtdress, but we'll have to see how the body snaps back after baby...baby is on borrowed time as far as I'm concerned now.

Uta said...

Your sewing is so impeccable and wonderful to look at! I'm glad you liked my suggestion; I'd love to see it styled on you!

HeathersSphere said...

Very stylish shirt dress with fine looking details!

Pam said...

SO Vintage - I love it - Wow! It is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I was so excited when I saw your pic on pattern review, the shirt dress pattern I have been looking for! Then I see it it no longer made :(. Oh well, yours is beautiful and I love the pockets too. Great job!

Louiz said...

Wow, that is just lovely.

amber said...

Great dress! It will be a perfect canvas for a whole host of fun accessories and stuff, too. :)

SEWN said...

I think it looks fab!

Anonymous said...

I just found this pattern in my local op-shop and went looking for reviews. Your dress looks gorgeous! I'm inspired. Thanks for sharing. I so love the internet sewing community.

I use the clean-finished facing technique a lot in my sewing, it's fantastic, isn't it!