Friday, August 3, 2012

Stretch & Sew 1260: A swing and a miss

Myra needed a new swimsuit and given how fast and easy they are to sew, I just can't make myself buy them anymore. Unfortunately, she is still in need of a new swimsuit, despite my efforts...
This is Stretch & Sew 1260, a long OOP pattern that my mother sent me. I think she used it for my little sister, although I can't recall. The design is super cute - a basic maillot with an opening at the side seam, front and back ruffles and a low back.
The fabric is a tactel/lycra swimwear fabric from Chez Ami. It is really lovely. I've fought with some annoying swim fabrics in the past (hologram lycra, anyone??), but this stuff is nice and stable and easy to sew. I used swim elastic from Sew Sassy, which I'm also very happy with. It is soft, but with good recovery.
I lined the front with a white poly/lycra knit. It is much beefier than swim lining, which made it a good match to the fashion fabric, not to mention far less annoying to sew. I love the awesome little buttons at the side seam. You can also see that I used a triple zigzag to topstitch the openings. I actually sewed all but three seams on my regular sewing machine. You totally don't need any special equipment to sew swimwear.
So, that was the good... The bad - This is not the style for Myra's *ahem* ample rear end. This shot was the only one (of many) that actually covered her little ghetto booty, and this was immediately after readjustment. And it isn't exactly the best coverage even then. The high cut legs resulted in a backside with really poor coverage, and Myra spent the whole time she wore the suit picking at it.
The final verdict? It really isn't wearable. Myra only spent about 15 minutes in it before she was ready to take it off. When I asked her what I should do to fix it, she said, "Make a new one." I think she's right about that.

13 comments:

wendy said...

That's a bummer that the suit is too small because the fabric & design are too cute! I love the little buttons. :)

Sarahbelle said...

I remember making one or two of these for Varina (sans ruffles). I don't recall fit problems.

But you know how affable your little sister is. She never complains about anything.

Andrea said...

Such a cute suit, great colors, a shame it doesn't fit her well. Maybe another little girl can wear it? You really did a great job on this precious suit!

Sam Rose said...

That stinks. Myra can make anything look adorable though.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

That is a shame - such cute fabric! Love the buttons!

Karin said...

What a shame! She looks so cute in it.

Cennetta said...

Too bad it isn't wearable. It is cute though.

Beth said...

Bathing suits are tricky to fit until the final product in my opinion. I guess if you have last year's to compare to, but I never know exactly how it's going to go until it's done.

Marjie said...

Poor baby! Maybe the leg openings need to be a little lower. Too bad it didn't work, because that bright fabric is great on her.

Anonymous said...

How brutal the honesty of those little ones can be! Lol too bad it doesn't fit, really, t looks lovely on the pics...

meli88a said...

Oh so cute! What a good sport she is. I hope the next version covers her a little better.

Kyle said...

Awwww...at her tender young age she is already learning about swimsuits that ride up. "Make another one"--priceless!!!

Medr1e said...

The suit is very cute. Too bad about the fit! Any chance of converting it to a bikini or tankini top?