Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fall Sewing: A Mini Wardrobe Plan

It's still summer weather around here, but Fall fashions are buzzing about the interwebs, and I've started thinking about cooler weather sewing, so when Linda suggested a Mini Wardrobe SAL to echo the PR contest, I thought it would be a great way to get some motivation without the stress of a contest (which has been a mojo killer in the past for me).
Here is my storyboard. I'm basing the wardrobe on a blazer I've been wanting to sew for a few years, but have been intimidated by. Hopefully the added support of a SAL will help me have the motivation I need. The pieces I plan to sew are (clockwise from top):

1) Vogue 8601 in a pink wool heavy suiting from Pendelton Woolen Mills. I plan to line it with a green and pink charmeuse print that has been in my stash a while. I'll do some light tailoring; adding a back stay and taping the roll line, but I probably will go with mostly fusibles for the collar and chestpiece. We'll see.
2) Vogue 8604 in tropical wool stretch suiting in black. I'll line these with Bemberg and I'll probably stitch down the front tucks into darts. I'm not a fan of a pleated appearance over my belly. I do love the high waist and wide legs on this pattern though.
3) Vogue 1059 in dark denim as a trouser style jean. I'm not sure if I want to do the welt pockets on the back or go with a more traditional jean style patch pocket. I do think I'll go with a more subtle color of topstitching thread like a dark grey or navy blue.
4) Vintage Simplicity 1735 in an off white tencel shirting. I love this sweet little pattern! My favorite feature is the tucks in place of darts at the waist for shaping. Alas, my copy is missing the bodice pieces, so I'm going to use a pattern with similar structure and assemble it per this one. I think I can make it work.
5) New Look 6130 in a cheetah print challis. Most of the other pieces are pretty classic, so this is my trendy item. I love the peplum trend, so I am really glad to see it continuing for fall. Animal prints are a perennial favorite of mine, so this should be a winner. I'm hoping that the challis isn't too limp for the peplum though. I think it would be best in a fabric with some body and this challis is pretty typically drapey.

Up first will be the blazer, so I don't wimp out. Here we go!

6 comments:

Karen said...

This looks like a great plan, I really must sit down sometime and plan what I am going to sew for me so that it creates a wardrobe. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Pam said...

How adventurous. I can't wait to see your fabric from Pendleton Woolen Mills and the jacket!

I love how you have a plan!

The F Girl said...

I love your plan to make a blazer. I have been wanting to make one for ages, but never got the nerves to really start. Maybe I'll be inspired by your progress and start to sew along with you. I am sure your blazer will turn out amazing!

CGCouture said...

I love the peplum jacket! This looks like a pretty solid plan, I think it will make an awesome wardrobe and can't wait to see how it all comes together. :-)

Judith said...

What a very doable and wearable storyboard - looking forward to seeing it completed! Any chance of you doing a 'technical' post on how to put a storyboard like this together, and how to post it - which programs you use etc???? It really looks professional...

Amy said...

I like the idea of a plan. Thanks for sharing the link to the PR mini plan. This may help with my ideas for fall. Looking forward to seeing your jacket. You're work is very inspiring.