Monday, February 20, 2012

Vogue 8330

My skinny jeans for the Wardrobe Basics SAL are ready to rock!
I was feeling a little rock star today, so we had some fun with the photo shoot. And I braved six inches of snow in a cap sleeve silk top. All for you, beloved readers.
The pattern is OOP Vogue 8330, originally a low rise skinny pant a la 1995. I raised the rise significantly (as you can see) the last time I made these. The front rise was great, but the back was actually a little too high and sagged with wear, so I shaved about an inch off of the top of the yoke at center back, tapering to nothing at the side seams.
Better. This denim has a bit less stretch than what I used the last time, so these are a bit more snug, but I think it is in a good way, although my mother might call them hysterectomy pants. The fabric is a dark black lightweight denim from Hancock's. It's pretty thin, and I don't think it will wear well, but it has this great sheen that doesn't come across in the pictures.
As I mentioned in my last post, I used this amazing variegated pink thread for my topstitching. It was the devil to photograph, but with some judicious editing, you can get an idea of how it turned out here. For the closure, I used a black heavy duty snap - love those, no buttonholes! And instead of rivets, I used the top half of small pink pearl snaps. I tried to find some pink rhinestone rivets, but I could only get them by the gross, and really, how many pink rhinestone rivets does one girl need?
In back, I wanted the thread to shine, so I went with a simple line as the pocket design. I considered leaving the pockets bare, which is a trend I've seen a lot in RTW lately. In the end (hah) I decided that they needed *something* and the line won out.
For a little extra flash, I decided to make a belt loop "X" at center back. I saw another sewist do this once upon a time, but can't remember who. So sorry! Let me know if it was you I'm copying! It's a fun detail.
Overall, I'm kinda stoked. Although this is definitely a little bit outside my usual mommy style, I really like it. I think I'll break out the black leather jacket from high school and some knee high patent boots and really rock these. They'll be fun while they last.

50 comments:

Karin said...

Great fit! You have the long legs for them to! I am no fan of low rise jeans/pants myself. I hope the are on their way out.

Elizabeth Made This said...

The back fit is fantastic! Your Mom sounds like a funny funny lady too.

Cawaiiland on Etsy, where I got my rivets does indeed have pink rhinestone rivets in smaller batches--like 18 sets. http://www.etsy.com/listing/72856322/18-sets-7mm-shocking-pink-round?ga_search_query=rivet&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_5822704

You have been enabled. :) I'm fancying the diamond ones that they have right now.

Cindy said...

The jeans are FABULOUS! Love the details and the fit...you are rocking those jeans!:)

BConky said...

Those look great. Love the pink top stitching. I found rivots at http://www.dreamtimecreations.com/swarovski-rhinestone-rivets-ss18-15923/
maybe next time you can find them.

KID, MD said...

Thanks! I totally agree with you. I am so glad that the low rise pant is not in vogue now. I don't find them flattering for me at all.

KID, MD said...

That shop is amazing!! Thank you for the link. I didn't even think to look on Etsy. D'oh!

KID, MD said...

Thank you!

KID, MD said...

Those are some great rivets. They look very high end. Thanks for the link! I'll have to see if I can find the setter that they reference. I can see these on more than just jeans...

Mariadenmark said...

They look fantastic! Great fit and great work!

Karen said...

Super cute and sexy, you did a great job! I am now extra inspired to work on my jeans this week.

Pam said...

Fantastic Fit on you!! I mean, really, FANTASTIC!! I love the butt shot K!
I'm not sure what hysterectomy jeans means - but that must mean you're seconds from getting pregnant when you where these!

You know we're jeans lovers out here in the West, Utah must agree with you - again, great job!

KID, MD said...

Thank you!

KID, MD said...

Yay! I can't wait to see yours!!

KID, MD said...

LOL, in the 80s, I had to lie down on my bed and use a coat hanger to zip my jeans, and my mom always said that they were so tight, that I was cutting off blood flow and would need a hysterectomy, and then how would she ever be a grandmother!
Utah definitely agrees with us though. The kids are loving the snow!

Pam said...

By the way, Congratulations on being recognized in the Best Patterns of 2011 on PR!

Shannon said...

Great jeans- they look fabulous on you! I love the pink top stitching!

Zeila said...

Wow! And I can see how great you feel in them...good job.

Susan said...

You are looking like a Rock Star in this too!

The Hojnackes said...

The jeans look fabulous- or maybe I should say you look fabulous in those jeans! Love them.

Mary Nanna said...

You look great - the top and the jeans work so well together. A great job.

Tanit-Isis said...

Awesome! (never mind the silk blouse, I'm terrified you braved snow an ice in those shoes!)

You will totally rock these, and the fit looks great. Hysterectomy pants is making me LOL, though.

And kneehigh boots. Definitely. :D

Sam Rose said...

Those are fabulous on you! The picture where you're sticking your butt out cracked me up. That is how you do the hokey pokey.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

You are a rock star! Great pair of jeans. TFS

KID, MD said...

Thanks! I was really excited to see that! There were so many amazing versions of that dress.

KID, MD said...

Thank you! That is my favorite part. I keep looking down and seeing the pink. It makes me smile.

KID, MD said...

Thanks!

KID, MD said...

Thank you!

KID, MD said...

:) Thanks!

KID, MD said...

Thank you! I totally didn't even think of this top when I was making them. It was a random closet grab when I was putting them on. I love when that happens!

KID, MD said...

Yeah, the shoes are pretty treacherous out there. I didn't leave the porch.

KID, MD said...

And that's what it's ALL about! :)

KID, MD said...

Thanks! :)

kbenco said...

Fabulous fit, figure and outfit. You look terrific, very rock star.

Marjie said...

You really do have my snow! And your new jeans look great. I love the pink topstitching; it's such a feminine detail. Now get inside and stay warm!

Witch Hazel said...

Those jeans look sooo great on you!! I think the topstitching is just perfect. Too bad about the rivets, hopefully you can find them next time.
P.S that top is pretty awesome too, did you make it?

Shari said...

Looking awesome in those jeans!Love the pink top stitching

KID, MD said...

It showed up yesterday after it had gotten really warm. It looks like it's going to stay a while. The kids are thrilled. Me, not so much.

KID, MD said...

Thanks! I have a few rivet leads, so here's hoping. I did make the top. It is Simplicity 2418.

KID, MD said...

Thanks! The pink is my favorite part!

Candice said...

Who said moms can't look like a rock star! You look great!

AllisonC said...

They are awesome, I hope you will get to wear them a lot (but maybe with some more layers while there is snow on the ground!!)

Lori said...

awesome jeans - perfect fit, fabric and topstitching. Amazing job.

Sewtellme said...

Your jeans look AMAZING!!! I've been toying with the idea of jeans a lot lately and I think this pair as just pushed me over the edge. Your topstitching is SICK (forgive me I've had one too many conversations with my 8 year old).

Jillybejoyful said...

Holey Moley Lady! You and your mile-long legs are ROCKIN' this look!

gwensews said...

Oh mama, where did you get those legs? You are totally rockin' those jeans!

Cennetta said...

Lady, you are workin' those fabulous, perfect fitting jeans. Kudos!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

You are HOT - how is that snow not melting?! Awesome fit and I may borrow the crossed carriers myself! Great jeans.

Lisa said...

You are rocking those jeans. The fit is perfect and I am envious of your topstitching.

Lynneb said...

They look great! Hysterectomy Jeans....I love it! Thank heavens for spandex!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I am utterly impressed with these jeans. Very professional and you look like a million bucks!