Saturday, February 18, 2012

Topstitch Inspired.

If you're a PR member, you've probably been aware of the jeans contest this last month. There are some amazing entries. Since my current project for the Wardrobe Basics SAL is my skinny jeans, I've been enjoying the inspiration. And the jeans are coming along.
In fact, they are in the home stretch! All I have left is the waistband, button/rivets and hems. But I just had to give a couple of shout-outs to my topstitching inspiration. Did you see Elizabeth's fab jeans?? I had already cut these out as skinnies, but my next pair of flared jeans is so going to have the buttoned vents. Fabulous!! For these jeans, I copied her pink topstitching, but with a twist inspired by kbenco's bellbottoms.
Isn't that pretty thread?? It is Aurifil, which is marketed as a quilting and embroidery thread, but it is nice and thick and lustrous. I love how it looks as topstitching thread, and isn't the variegation pretty? Not being a quilter, I didn't even know it existed, but I got a sample pack in my Sewing Summit swag, and it included this lovely pink. So perfect. The only down side I have found so far is that it is quite linty. Janome is doing all the topstitching for these jeans and she is definitely going to need a cleaning after this. So will the table she sits on and the floor underneath. Linty. So, anyone else used this thread for topstitching? Do you like it? What is your favorite topstitching thread for jeans? Dish, y'all.

And PR members, you have until the 23rd to vote in the Jeans contest. There are some amazing jeans to choose from. You can probably guess who I voted for, eh?

9 comments:

kbenco said...

I love variagated topstitching thread, the shades of pink look terrific on your pockets.

Kristin said...

Nice topstitching! (which, in my opinion, is the greatest compliment one can ever receive.) I love the variegated idea! I will have to try that sometime.

Lori said...

Great thread for the topstitching, can't wait to see your jeans.

Elizabeth Made This said...

You've got a great start on the topstitching. I LOVE the high contrast. I feel like if you're going to topstitch, let the whole world see it!

Aw, thanks for the shout out! I poured my heart in this last pair for sure. The aurafil is beautiful--I'll have to keep an eye out. Gnomey definitely prefers Coats and Clark heavy duty over the Gutermann topstitching. I'd love to try YLI, but I know that it's thicker than the Gutermann, so it's out for me at this point. For lighter weight topstitching, I really like Mettler silk finish cotton thread. That's what I used on this jacket:
http://emadethis.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/fall-jacket/

Lisa said...

Your topstitching is perfect.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

That looks awesome! I used C&C topstitching thread myself - love yours though!

meli88a said...

That thread is so much fun. I love how it changes shades as you stitched.

Thanks for the link to the PatternReview contest. I haven't been on the site in ages, and it's great to see what people are up to. Competition looks fierce!

Janine said...

I too love your topstitching - I think this must be the most fun bit of sewing jeans - designing a pattern to go on the back jeans and deciding on colours making home sewn jeans so unique.

adamshar said...

It is amazing and superb Topstitch thread. I like it very much. We can easily sewing jeans with high contrast with Topstitch thread. It is nice Topstitch thread. Thanks for all it.

Fil à coudre