Monday, May 30, 2011

Groovy Bellbottoms: BWOF 11/2009-125

Since I was born in the late 70s, I basically missed the whole bellbottoms/disco phenomenon this first time around (although I will admit to wearing some seriously awesome bellbottoms in college). Thanks to Joy and her Groovy Bellbottoms Challenge, I get to channel my inner dancin' queen and make some bellbottoms!
I've loved this pattern since I got this issue of Burda, but I wasn't sure a 30 something mother of 3 really needed a pair of crazy wide flares in her wardrobe. But then kbenco made them for her daughters, and I decided I didn't care how age inappropriate they were, I wanted some!
I think I'm in love. Oh, the wide flares, the cute round pockets and fat rounded belt loops; I adore them!
The pattern is from the last Burda World of Fashion (before the name changed to burdastyle), November 2009. It's one of the Take one, Make four patterns, so there are four different versions of these pants. You can omit the godets to make a basic pair of pants, which makes this a surprisingly versatile pattern. It has a nice mid rise and a contour waistband which makes for a good fit. 
I did use my new pants sloper as well as my last pair of burda pants to alter the crotch curve, then I actually made a muslin - I know, but I really wanted these to be awesome. Based on the muslin, I added some length to the back crotch curve and about 1/4 inch to each side seam at the hip, for a total of an inch all around. I had the same experience kbenco did, in that my muslin was snug, but the final pants are actually a little roomy. They're shapely though, so I'm still pretty happy with them.
I also shortened them 1 1/2 inches at the knee, above where the godet inserts. I didn't want to lose any of the flare. I don't generally have to shorten pants, but these were drafted quite long. As this is only my second pair of Burda pants, I can't generalize, but I've had to shorten both, so I wonder if that is typical for burda drafting.
For my facings and linings, I used a lightweight twill with a fun floral print. I often have used quilting cotton for this, as it is less bulky than the denim, but even with mid weight interfacing, I don't find it supports the waistband to my liking. Although this twill is lighter and less bulky than the denim, I like the structure it gives a bit better.
For the topstitching, I took another page from kbenco's book and instead of topstitching to the side of the seam, I topstitched to either side so that I could then topstitch the godet symmetrically. I definitely prefer my topstitching to be symmetrical. I will say, these were not the easiest pants to topstitch. Since all four vertical seams are topstitched, as well as the godets, whichever seam you sew last has to then be topstitched with the leg as a tube. Not easy, but I think it was worth it for the look. Since I knew it would be a bit dodgy, I saved the inseams for last, since they aren't very visible. I'm not going to show them to you, but they are fine for the casual observer.
Mitch insisted on this disco dancing shot. I think I need a new top though. I like this tee shirt (It's from the 02/2010 burdastyle) but I think I need something I bit more funky. Maybe a peasant top? What would you wear with your bellbottoms?

24 comments:

Tanit-Isis said...

Those pockets and belt loops absolutely make me swoon. Gah.

I think a peasant blouse is definitely in order... For my bellbottoms as well. :)

Big in Japan said...

Oooooohhh! You and Tanitisis are killin' me with your awesome bellbottoms! In these parts, and further east in Tokyo, lots of the hard rock crowd sport bellbottoms/flares on a daily basis as there is some serious '70s love happening. You look great in them and I think you'll be surprised at how many things you can wear on top comfortably. Rock t-shirt is my obvious choice, but a peasant blouse or something in a slinky, psychedelic paisley would be fine too.

Lisa said...

I LOVE these they are so funky . I have added them to my "To do " list. I am doing a trouser fitting course in August ( Palmer Pletsch ) so hopefully I will attempt these soon. I love the curves and the flares are fab . Peasant tops, floaty tops or even nautical stripes would look awesome .

Peggy's Closet said...

These are great! While I love the look of a fitted T with bell bottoms, you'd be au courant by adding a peasant blouse with these. ~ Peggy

Kitschy Coo said...

You've done an amazing job with these, so impressed :)

Pam said...

Katie, Please share your diet and exercise tips you are looking fantastic girlfriend (I've gone the other way since last summer!). The pants are fab and I am loving them! Great job on a difficult project!

Joy said...

It's a shame that bellbottoms were going out just as we were coming in (:

The fit looks good (mine were a little roomy too) so it's nice have those other variations of the pattern.

And I agree to needing some groovier tops to go with the pants!

MushyWear said...

Fantastic. I don't think you could have found a more perfect fabric for your waistband and pocket facings, and your top-stitching is perfection!

Adelaide B said...

I do not know if I can fully get behind bell bottoms (I have childhood trauma) but those pockets are amazingly cute.

Rebecca said...

Those are so groovy and awesome! You're making me want a pair of bell bottoms. :]

Karin said...

I love them. I really do! And I see no reason why a 30 year old mother of three could not wear trousers like these. With a cute shirt, top or blouse I think you look ready to take on the world!

auntninn said...

With those huge bells and that awesome liner you are channeling your inner flower child for sure. Cute pants!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I must know. What machine did you use to do the topstitching? TYVM (Thank you very much). :)

Alison said...

Love your pants & the funky lining fabric!

KID, MD said...

Thanks to everyone! I'm definitely planning a peasant blouse in the near future - but maybe after my cross country move. :)
Lisa, I love the idea of nautical stripes! Thanks!
Pammie - *blushes* Thank you! I actually have been using a calorie counting a on my phone (Lose It). I am so no good at consistent exercise.
Anonymous - I topstiched with my regular machine (which is a Janome 623LE). I used a jeans needle and upholstery thread with a slightly long stitch length.

Jillybejoyful said...

30-something, shmurty-something...you totally ROCK those bell bottoms! And I LOVE the retro waistband lining - sooooo 60's!

Great topstitching too - Beautiful job all the way around.

Beth H said...

Those are outstanding! Great job!

BConky said...

They are wonderful. Love the waistband contrast, it just adds something special to the jeans. All the details really make for an adorable pair of pants.

randivon said...

I want to see them in person. Can you please wear them somewhere I am before you leave?? They look amazing! Well done! :-)

meli88a said...

These are amazing. I wondered what these pants look like in "real life" and am not disappointed! They look like they are so fun, and I love your details.

kbenco said...

They look totally fabulous on you.
I admire your topstitching. I chickened out with topsitching the inner leg seams, and just did the godet sections on the inner leg - and notice this every time the girls wear their bell bottoms... which would be every weekend.

Anonymous said...

I think they look fabulous!

Victoria said...

Great bell-bottoms! You look fantastic and so "groovy" in them!

Sam Rose said...

Those are super cute! It's a little hard to see some them in front of the fireplace though.