Monday, March 28, 2011

Vogue 8323

I cut out this top while dreaming of winter sewing.  Since I hadn't finished fitting and cutting my dress, I decided to stitch it up, even though it has been in the 90s here this week.
I'm so glad I did! It's perfect with my Vogue 8603 skirt and I'm loving the wide belt trend. Totally makes me feel like my waist is back!
Mitch declared this outfit "a keeper". I agree, but it does make me wonder what he thinks of some of my other clothes...
Still pretty cute without the belt.  The pattern is Vogue 8323, which I made in black a year and a half ago. I wear it all the time, so I knew that pattern was a winner. The wrap front is particularly friendly for the nursing mom. It accommodates the changing sizes though the day and allows for easy nursing access. The fabric is very interesting.
Here is a closeup that I altered a little so you can see the detail. It is a pointelle knit, but made in a double layer which is bonded together at the lace points. I have many pieces of pointelle in my stash as I love how it looks, but I frequently find it too sheer to wear without a second layer. The double layer of fabric here makes for a more opaque, but still soft and comfortable knit. I love it and I'm so glad I have more!
The tee is princess seamed (love that) so even in a firmer knit like this one, the shape is lovely. I also love the almost peplum effect that you get from the hip flare. Yep, gonna make this one again.

23 comments:

Cindy said...

It's a fabulous top and defintely flattering!

Sam Rose said...

That look really comfortable. Plus it's really pretty. Great job, Katie!

Victoria said...

You look absolutely fabulous in this top! Sexy!!!

Sarah C said...

The top looks fantastic on you! Great job!

auntninn said...

You look fantastic. I can also picture it with tights and boots for colder weather. So cute!

Adelaide B said...

This top looks great with that skirt!

Mary Nanna said...

What do you mean your waist is back - did it go somewhere? You have always looked slim to me. A very pretty top with nice lines - the princess seam is unusual in a knit but it seams to work well...

Angela said...

Very nice top!! Your outfit is very flattering!

Bruna Cristina said...

I loved your blog !!!!!
I'm following
kisses from Brazil

http://munamo.blogspot.com

Jane M said...

Wonderful lines on this top which looks fabulous on you. You definitely have a waist! I think it looks very hour glass beautiful with the belt which is probably what e noticed:-)

Joy said...

Lovely outfit!

meli88a said...

What a great top! It looks great on your... And so practical for nursing, who would have thought?

Sandi said...

Very cute - definitely good on a full bust - I need to make this one (even though I'll probably wait until next winter!). I know I have it in the stash.

Pam said...

Katie - Gorgeous work!! And you are looking like a teenager - beautiful complexion!

MushyWear said...

I love this unique look for a knit top, and your outfit is smashing.

gwensews said...

That's a lovely looking outfit! Very chic!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

That is a great outfit! I am impressed that the top is both attractive and functional--not so easy to find both in the same garment sometimes!

michal said...

great top! Looks so great on you!

Julia said...

I love the cut and lines of this top on you. I just don't like you because you look tooooooooooo gooooooood for a mom of three and one of them sooo little! Just kidding, just jealous!

kbenco said...

So smart. You look very trim yet shapely. I would never have thought such a classic, fitted top would work for nursing, where was this pattern 8 years ago!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Ooh, that is a smoking hot outfit! Love that shirt, and the skirt is very flattering!

Anonymous said...

This is such a sophisticated outfit, I love it, I just discovered your blog and I think you have great taste. Thanks for sharing :)

amber said...

I LOVE this on you! It's so pretty and sophisticated. :)