Saturday, January 15, 2011

Refashion: Men's cords to boy's (Ottobre 01/2009-23)

Logan has shredded two pairs of pants in as many weeks, so I needed a quick way to replace them.  Enter an old pair of Mitch's cords and the pattern I made for him last week (already traced!).
The pattern is a quick and dirty elastic waist pant.  Of course, Ottobre gives you tons of fun pocket and detail options, but for these, I didn't use any of them.
The front pockets came from the original pants and I didn't add any back pockets.  That made these crazy quick to make.  Good thing, since corduroy isn't all that sturdy and these are on their second life already.
I neglected to take a before picture, but here is how I laid them out for cutting.  First I slashed the inseam and the front crotch, then laid them flat right sides together.  I lined up the side seams as best I could, then placed the pattern pieces to incorporate the front pockets on the front pant piece and an unembellished section of the back leg became the new back pants.  As you can see, I'm not going to get away with this for too much longer - Logan is getting too big!

13 comments:

Myrna said...

Great job. Refashioning is one of my favourite things to do.

Julia said...

I'm in the process of making our Big Little Man some work pants from a pair of his dad's!

Pam said...

Ingenious mom!

meli88a said...

Very well done! Those little trousers must be so nice and soft being made from well worn corduroy.

Unknown said...

Great use for old pants! This thought has entered my mind before, but I wasn't quite sure how to execute. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Louiz said...

What a smart way to use up clothes that otherwise have no use:)

kbenco said...

Great job, very thrifty. For my own destructor-boy, I am a huge fan of backside and knee patches during original construction, as the double layer of fabric in play clothes really helps them last, but maybe Logan is growing out of his clothes as fast as he wears them out!

Big in Japan said...

Thriftacular! This is a perfect solution for a growing boy who is hard on clothes.

Mary Nanna said...

What a great idea! So pleased you are finding time to sew with a little baby in the house...

Anonymous said...

What a great refashion. I do love cords for little boys--it IS a shame they're not sturdier.

Joy said...

Nice! Those resurrected pockets are very cool!

Angela said...

OO... how cool! Very nicely done!

Sam Rose said...

Very nice. Alex has only one pair of pants with a holey knee. It's great that you were able to come up such a great solution.