Monday, October 25, 2010

Simplicity 3765

What happened to Katie?? I know it's been a while (for me) since I posted something I've sewn.  It's not that I haven't been sewing, I've just been making scrubs and I find them a bit boring (after the 4th identical set), so I didn't think they were blogworthy.  Mitch likes them, though.  I did finally make the Wee Professor his pants!
The pattern is Simplicity 3765, now OOP.  While I generally prefer Ottobre over the big 4, particularly for baby clothes, I've made this pattern so many times, I think it has become a winner.  I actually find that in the baby sizes Simplicity has the most reasonable size range. Yes, they sew up 2 sizes larger than published, but since the Simplicity patterns are graded down to what they call an XXS, you can actually sew for a newborn. Just know that the XXS will actually fit like a 0-3 month in RTW.
Here they are with the sweater that I made to match.  The pants are made of a pincord from Hancock.  It's fairly lightweight, so I'm hoping the pants will be wearable through several seasons.  The pattern is designed to be shorts, so I made them in a size XS and lengthened them to the size S length line while cutting.  I used a pair of pants that Logan wore when he was a baby for the elastic length (13 inches, in case you're wondering) in the waistline.  I waffled back and forth about the topstitching, and in the end am glad I put it on.  I think it's cute and gives the pants some character.

I've also been knitting quite a bit.  All that time spent in the OBs waiting room adds up...  Since I want this blog to remain about my sewing, I probably won't be posting all that much more about my knitting projects unless I make something super cool.  If you are interested in what I'm knitting, you can follow me on Ravelry. My profile is here.  If you aren't already a Raveler, you should be!!  Seriously, if you knit, you NEED to be on Ravelry.  Go sign up for a free membership.  They won't spam you, and you'll have access to the amazing collection of knitting patterns, many of which are free.

12 comments:

Cindy said...

The pants are adorable and I'm glad that you went with the topstitching too! Wee Professor is going to be one well dressed baby.:)

Liesl said...

They are super cute (I love the pincord!). I'm sure your wee professor is going to look absolutely adorable in his ensemble.

Michelle said...

What a great pair of pants and sweater! I hate trying to sew kids clothes, because the NEVER sew up the size you expect!

auntninn said...

Oh my goodness! I think I need some insulin from how SWEET the outfit looks. Just darling. He's going to need a little monocle or something.

Karin van D. said...

Nice trousers. I love trousers like that for little boys, makes them look so cute! The sweater looks great too!

amber said...

Oh, this is just too cute! The topstitching is a really nice touch.

Debra Martin said...

How adorable!!! I can't wait to "meet" the little guy.
:)Deb M.

Angela said...

You have been a busy bee!! Hehe... he's going to look adorable in this outfit!

Julia said...

Great little prof outfit!

Sue said...

The top-stitching gives the pants a real up-market boutique RTW look and the matching jumper is lovely!

Kitschy Coo said...

I agree with auntninn, the sweater / trouser combo is too cute to cope with :)

Louiz said...

Those look so cute together:)