Thursday, May 6, 2010

Simplicity 2609

Me Made May has already shown me what a dearth of wardrobe basics I have sewn.  I really love prints and interesting patterns, so it is a little hard for me to make something "boring".  Still, I want to wear all of the things I've made, so I decided to whip up this skirt with Simplicity 2609 in a nice basic linen.
OK, I couldn't just do basic, but I wear long tops, so the palm trees won't always show...  The fabric is from my mother's stash, acquired during her Great Fabric Disbursement.  (There are still a couple of nice pieces left.  Go check it out!)  Mom made a cute jacket out of the palm tree embroidered linen, and I think a coordinating skirt from the solid. (correct me if I'm wrong here, Mom!)  ETA: Mum did correct me - Pants were made from  the solid.
I lined it, because well, that's how I roll.  I used regular poly lining for the skirt panel, but self fabric for the yoke, which I wanted to breathe.  I trimmed it with lace, mostly because I didn't want to fuss with a hem.  Hah.  It's pretty, though.    This is the second time I've made this pattern, and I really like it.  It is very simple (I made this one in a single naptime.), but surprisingly flattering for an elastic waist skirt.  Although the yoke piece is just a rectangle, that skirt panels are shaped, which helps the skirt mold to the body better than a dirndl type skirt would.
Here it is on, or you can check out today's Me Made May post for a full length picture.  It looks awesome with my latest BWOF blouse.  I totally couldn't have coordinated it better if I had planned it!

11 comments:

Beth said...

cute!

meli88a said...

I like the lining in your skirt -- it looks like a slip with the lace and very comfortable to wear.

Reethi said...

Me Made May is making me sew basics as well. I really like your skirt, cute!

Beangirl said...

Ah, yes. Clearly you are ready for your annual safari (ala BWOF)! That is one cute flippin' skirt. I am totally jealous (for multiple reasons, but especially because you can make a skirt in one naptime!)

Julia said...

I'm the same way. I can never just make a pattern as it is with no embellishment, etc.... Life would be a lot easier if I could. Cute skirt!

Heather said...

I love those quicky sew items! This skirt really is cute. I like the stealth palm trees. ;-)

Angela said...

Cute! I love the palm trees... it's very Jcrew-esque!

Pam said...

Adorable and love the lining!!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Total awesomeness!

Sarahbelle said...

Super fabu!!

I'm so glad the palm trees found a nice home!
I did, in fact, make pants out of the plain linen.

Great outfit!!!

amber said...

The little bit of palm trees at the top is so fun!