Friday, May 7, 2010

Butterick 5284

I know it looks like I made this top in a day, but I totally didn't!!  I'd been working on it for a week, but waited to set in the sleeve, since I used it to demonstrate at my last sewing group.
The pattern is Butterick 5284.  I almost passed on this pattern, but decided to get it after seeing Erica B's version.  It really is a great basic, but with some nice details.  I think once I get my fit issues ironed out, this will be a fun one to play around with the different ruffles and sleeve styles.  The alterations I made this time around were an FBA, enlarging the waist dart and removing 1/2 inch of ease from the sleeve cap.  I'm not happy with my dart position, but size-wise the fit is great.  Even with 1/2 inch gone, the sleeve cap still had too much ease.  Grr.  The fabric is a cheap-o cotton poly shirting from Hancock, but I really like the pinstripe.  You can't tell all that well in the photos, but it is a cornflower blue.
Here is the back.  I've been going back and forth about a swayback adjustment, and I'm not sure I really would need it on this blouse.  I wonder if altering the angle of the contour darts slightly would work instead?  I hate to add a CB seam if I don't have to!
I managed to match the pinstripes across the shoulder seam, from cuff to sleeve and across the bust dart, which makes me happy.
Inside, I did french seams and bound the armscye.  In fact, there is not a single exposed seam anywhere in this blouse.  Yay!

This is the first piece in my Summer 6PAC.  Next in the plan is a pair of denim capris, which are all cut out and ready to go!

14 comments:

angie.a said...

Ooh, pretty! I still haven't mastered the fitted shirt. But yours looks nearly perfect! Definitely make more. :)

gwensews said...

That fitted shirt shows off your nice figure. Unfortunately, sleeve ease seems to be a problem in most patterns. I don't know why that is. I most always have to reduce the cap ease.

Sarahbelle said...

Nice job!!!!
Of course, you made French Seams -- you know your grandmother's dictum: "anything you make should look as good on the inside, as it does on the outside."
The fit is great, and nice job on matching the stripes.
This is a winner!!!

Little Hunting Creek said...

Beautiful shirt - it looks great on you. Make more :)

wendy said...

Oooh, it looks really nice!! Great job on the cuffs!

Myrna said...

It looks great. Not sure if this will help but I found a lot of my issues through the back went away when I started taking out above the waist (1" through the armhole for my petite) AND when I added width only in the middle along the princess seams. I didn't need it at the side but I needed it back there. Something to think about anyway. WONDERFUL job.

Pam said...

Wow! I am impressed - and perfect stripes - unbelievable. . .

Anonymous said...

Wow- what a fit! The blouse is so nicely shaped without being too tight anywhere. Great job!

Angela said...

Great top!! I love it! I have this pattern somewhere... I need to make this too...

Kitschy Coo said...

I think the fit is fabulous, great work!

Uta said...

Fabulous! Make me want to sew another blouse right away.

kbenco said...

Very, very smart and polished. The fit is terrific.

Aminat said...

Beautiful, I made one just like Erica's and I love it so much. The top is really nice on you and you did a great job with the fitting

amber said...

Really cute and I think the fit is quite good.