Sunday, May 9, 2010

A birthday surprise!

One of Logan's best girlie friends turned 4 and had a party Saturday.  She LOVES to dress up, so I made her a fancy dress up dress perfect for any little princess.
The pattern is the Lace-Up dress by Little Print Patterns.  I added some trim to the bodice, lengthened the skirt and added a double layer of tulle as an overskirt.  I thought about filling the overskirt with petals, but I've only seen that done on short skirts, so I wasn't sure about how it would look on a longer one.  Maybe I'll try that out next time...  It is made out of costume satin and tulle.  Not my favorite fabrics to work with, but not too painful, since the design is fairly simple.  Although I think it is pretty from the front, the real action is in the back!
The shoulder straps lace down the back corset style and end in a big bow at the waist.  How fancy is that??  I think the birthday girl will like it.  It isn't particularly modest though, so I made a tee for her to wear under it.
And it gave me an excuse to try out the Jalie Sweetheart Top in the kids size range.  Fun!!  And since I know Sister wants to know, I actually watched the clock as I made this one.  From tracing the pattern to sewing the hem took slightly under 2 hours.  I did have some machine trouble in the middle there and almost had to recut a sleeve that Janome nearly ate, so with smooth sailing I probably could have done it in a little less time, but not much.

9 comments:

wendy said...

Beautiful! Especially the color :)

The flower girl at my sister's wedding wore an ankle length dress with blue petals in a white organza skirt, and it was gorgeous. I'll have to see if I can find a photo of it to upload, but it looked very sweet.

Michelle said...

So cute! she will be thrilled. And great job on the shirt! I have been timing myself lately, too...but I think you are speedier than me!

Pam said...

Super cute princess dress!!

Eugenia said...

Such a cute and pretty dress for a princess! Love that t-shirt too - that was definitely two hours well spent.

Julia said...

Any little princess would love this dress. So pretty!

Mary Nanna said...

very sweet combination. i am just about finished making Burda's knock-off of the Jalie sweet heart top - I'm intrigued to see the Jalie one close up - in fact they are constructed quite differently although the look is quite similar.

I'm really enjoying your MMM postings - good on you for putting it all together!

kbenco said...

Gorgeous. That is a perfect girly present, lucky friend!

amber said...

What a great little dress! I would have loved that as a little girl. :)

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Why must you torture me with your fast sewing??? You must be on Ritalin or something! Do you take 2 puffs of Albuterol before you sit down at the machine? It takes me 2 hours to open an envelope and get the pieces I need laid out for cutting! I'm STILL cutting out Lucas's shorts (but I do keep getting interrupted). Always striving to be more like you...