Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Self drafted skirt

For my last (whew!) mini wardrobe piece, I went with Mitch's excellent advice and decided to make a long, full skirt out of my Ponteroma knit.
Since I didn't have a pattern that matched the design in his head, I decided to draft my own, starting with the basic skirt from the Cal Patch book.  I lengthened it and slashed and spread to add fullness, then added a wide, foldover waistband.  Looking at the pictures, the waistband probably could have been wider, but it is quite comfortable as it is, and I didn't have a scrap of this fabric left over!  This is a nice firm knit, so it didn't need elastic.  I cut the waistband a inch or so smaller than my actual waist measurement and it is just right!
I really think that this is going to become a go to item in my wardrobe.  I may need to get more of this knit as well!  I love this stuff.  This is actually the second time I've used it.  The first was for Myra's top and leggings, which she has worn all winter.  I love sewing it, and it is wonderful to wear.
Now I just have to put together my wardrobe.  Now that I've made all the pieces, I'm not really sure which ones I want to use.  I think I'll just have a big photo shoot with everything and let the pictures decide.  Don't be too shocked if I ask y'all for a consultation!!

14 comments:

Karin (the mrs) said...

Great skirt. It looks beautiful on you!

I really like grey, combined with white for example. A classy white blouse with a skirt like that could look very elegant. Or what to think of bright red? So many options for combining with this fabric. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Beangirl said...

That's a great skirt! I agree that you COULD do the waistband wider, but it sure looks cute like it is. Plus that wider waistband thing is a little yoga-wear-trendy and I like this classic look. That Mitch, he's got an eye for the clothes. Well, so do you (since you actually made and designed it... but we'll give Mitch some credit)

Joy said...

Very nice! It turned out great. I'm sure this will be a good basic wardrobe piece.

Julia said...

Wow! I'm so impressed!! The fit is perfect! You can wear any color and a lot of different styles of tops with this!!!

auntninn said...

Cute! Hurrah for the Cal Patch made-just-for-you pattern. :)

amber said...

Looks so comfy and cozy! Since the fit is so good, I'd definitely make another 1 or 2. :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you drafted this on your own. I'm impressed! This is really flattering. It looks so comfy, but stylish, at the same time. I bet you will get a ton of wear out of it.

Angela said...

Congrats on finishing all your wardrobe pieces! Can't wait to see all the pictures photographed!

Pam said...

Congrats! The knit skirt is fab! I really like it!
I think it would be perfect for travel as well! Great job - Looking forward to the photos!

Digs said...

Now THIS is a perfectly well fitted skirt! It looks wonderfully comfortable, and, what IS that amazing fabric? what a wonderful drape it has!

KID, MD said...

Thanks all! I am really happy with it!
@Digs : It is a ponte knit from Hancock. They call it "Ponteroma". I rarely buy fashion fabric there, but this one it a total winner.

gwensews said...

Congratulations on the pattern draft! Yay! Not so scary. Your skirt turned out great!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Beautiful! I'll have to check for that fabric - it drapes beautifully!

Aminat said...

Great job, the skirt looks so ice on you