Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Design it Yourself skirt: Done!

I actually sewed this up on Saturday, but only just did the hem.  The muslin was pretty good, with the exception of a little riding up on my back.  Beangirl suggested raising the back hemline at the waist, which I did by taking a 1/2 inch wedge out above the seat.
So, here it is pinned out.
And look, a perfectly straight side seam!!  She's a genius.

I've had this crazy silk twill in my stash for a while, just waiting for a nice springtime skirt project to come along.  It was time...
Perfect!  Well, almost.  I bubbled the zipper a bit.  It isn't bad enough to make me take it out though, since the silly thing is machine sewn to both the FF and the lining.
The side seam is nice and straight, although my twill had a little bit of stretch, so it looks a little ripply at the side seam.  It just needs a better pressing, though.
Perfect from the back!!  Why is it so hard to take a straight, non-blurry picture of your own backside??  You'll all just have to take my word for it - the fit is excellent.
It is lined with this awesome hot pink poly lining fabric.  The waist is stabilized with twill tape, so there isn't any interfacing to interfere with the soft drape of the fabric.
I taped the hem with some funky lace left over from this baby dress of Myra's.

I love my fun new skirt, but I don't have anything that goes with it.  I think I need a new top...  Maybe after my Mini Wardrobe is done.

16 comments:

gwensews said...

Great skirts! Make yourself a beautiful top to go with that print skirt. Pink? Green?

Sarahbelle said...

It is wonderful!!!!
I love the great lining color you used, and the touch of lace on the inside. (I, myself, am wearing a skirt whose hem is edged in lace instead of hemmed.)
Momma always said that anything you sew should look as good on the inside, as it does on the outside.
She's right: couture garments are works of art on the inside. for myself -- I love doing something special on the inside. Even if I am the only person who ever sees it -- it's nice to put a smile on my own face first thing in the morning.
What a great skirt!!

Julia said...

These skirts are wonderful! I love that green and pink fabric. that's a cute little dress you made for Myra too.

Pam said...

Adorable and what a perfect fit! I love them! And your details with the lining are getting better and better! I can't wait to see your chosen top!

Beangirl said...

Love that fabric and the fit is great! Congratulations!

Beth said...

Since you self drafted . . . how do you like the fit when compared to other skirts you've made from patterns?

It looks great! Awesome that you have spent time earning the skills to make it and add interesting touches.

Joy said...

Wonderful! Now you just need to draft your own top to go with it.

Sam Rose said...

It's beautiful Katie! Good job.

amber said...

So pretty! I definitely vote for a new top to go with it. :)

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

That is a fun fabric! I dig the bright pink lining.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Love the spring skirt and the awesome lining! Great fabric choice!

Julia said...

A new blog award is awaiting you on my last post!

kbenco said...

Very smart skirts, I love the print on the twill, and am looking forward to the co-ordinating tops

Kitschy Coo said...

You look fabulous, I'm so happy you got the pattern the way you want it! The inside looks beautiful too :)

auntninn said...

So cute! And I'm not brave enough to post a back view, so bravo to you. :)

You should pick a pretty knit to go with it for the next t-shirt project. I picked up some super cheap solids that go with my skirt to use for "muslin" on the next one.

Kathi said...

I just love this skirt!! I am a sucker for pink and green - the preppy in me left over from the mid 80's!!
I admit that would probably go with a monogrammed polo style shirt instead of one I made since my preppy roots run so deeply!!!!!!