Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentine skirt with "Herrta" pockets

I love a simple gathered skirt.  They are so quick to make!  This one got a couple of cute pockets and some trim, but it was still a super quick project.
I had a hard time deciding on the trim for the hem.  I ended up with this pleated satin ribbon and pregathered lace combo, but I'm not sure I'm in love with it.  I'm thinking I may switch it out for some jumbo rick rack.  It's a bit puffy currently and it feels like Christmas more than Valentine's.
I'm loving these sweet little pockets, though.  What looks like stray thread is actually teeny little bar tacks.  Myra has a pair of RTW cords with heart shaped pockets and they have little bar tacks at the pocket edges.  It seemed like a good idea, particularly since Myra loves to stuff her pockets with all sorts of odd things.
I showed it to Myra when it was all done and she demanded, "On!" and tried to pull it over her head, so I let her give it a trial run.  It's bit long, so if I switch out the trim, I think I will also shorten it an inch or two.  She likes to twirl in it, though, so maybe I'll leave it alone and she can wear it longer.

7 comments:

gwensews said...

That is a really cute skirt. I like the white ruffle at the bottom. It looks like a slip showing. And, I see Valentines, not Christmas. A twirly skirt for an adorable little twirly girl!

Beangirl said...

cute!!! I am totally in love with those Herrta pockets too. I'm thinking about putting them on other stuff.

You always know you have a good thing when they demand instant wearing. :-)

Digs said...

Very cute! The white details around the pockets and hem make it sweet. It'll be perfect for Valentine's Day, too!

amber said...

What a little cutie pie!

Sarah said...

The pockets are perfect. I love and adore them!

UnderstandableD.duck said...

Lots of wonderful growing room, YES!

UnderstandableD.duck said...

Lots of wonderful growing room. Yes!!!