Sunday, February 21, 2010

New Look 6575

Well, despite my sleeve anxiety, Myra's Easter dress is done, and the sleeves turned out great!
I think it turned out well, overall.  This is easily the most complicated baby dress I've ever done, and of course, I had to further complicate it...
It's fully lined, except for the sleeves, and underlined.  That part the pattern called for, sort of.
I decided to use an invisible zip, instead of the centered one the pattern called for.  I think it looks much nicer, and I got to use the foot Mitch got me for Valentines Day.  If you are using that crappy plastic thing that Coats & Clark call a zipper foot, throw it away and spend the 10 bucks for a real one.  So worth it!  Anyway, the invisible zip did complicate the construction, since the organza overskirt is not incorporated into the center back seam.  It worked out fine.  I just had to do some interesting manipulation to get the zipper in around the overskirt.  And hey, how great is that perfectly matching waist seam?  Not bad, eh?
The other think I changed was the way the lining was constructed and installed.  They treated the lining almost like an additional underlining, which left all but the shoulder and side seams exposed.  What was the point in lining it then??  I elected to construct dress and lining separately, then machine sew them to the zipper and neckline...
and hand fell the sleeve lining into the armscye.  Hey, if it's good enough for Saville Row, it's good enough for my little princess!  I actually did want to practice this technique, since learning traditional tailoring is one of my 2010 goals.
My only regret was that I couldn't find ribbon rosettes the color of the ribbon trim.  I'd loved to have sewn some on the skirt, but it was not to be.  Probably, that is a good thing, as they'd probably just have ended up in Myra's mouth...  Next up is my dress.  I'm using McCall's 6024, which is from this season's new pattern lineup, so it isn't reviewed yet on PR.  It's also one with separate bodice pieces for different cup sizes, so it was great not to need an FBA!

18 comments:

Sam Rose said...

Holy cow, that looks amazing. Great job, Katie!

Unknown said...

What a sweet and adorable dress! Nice job on the lining, and I love the ribbon accent. You've created a treasure, and she will be absolutely lovely for Easter!

gwensews said...

That is a beautiful little dress. Really sweet. You did some very nice sewing and rethinking instructions.

Sarah C said...

That is a beautiful Easter dress. I agree with you on the choice for the invisiable zipper.

Lina said...

Wow !!! It is beautiful and romantic dress.So gentle!!!

Martha said...

Well the finished product certainly doesn't display yout sleeve anxiety. You did a great job. Looks very Easter and very vintage at the same time. Pretty!

Aminat said...

Simply beautiful...and I love the ribbon you used

Sarahbelle said...

Fabulous!
Wonderful!!
Stunning!!!
You did a beautiful job creating this heirloom.
Myra will treasure this in the years to come.

Cindy said...

Beautiful! And I impressed that you've started on your Easter sewing.

Beth said...

It's wonderful! I can't wait to examine it with my eyes and hands so you can explain what I just read.

Diana was looking over my shoulder at the computer and said, "Mom, I want you to make me a flower dress!"

Beangirl said...

Very pretty! You totally have to take the Big 4 instructions with a huge grain of salt, I find. They are crazy most of the time. You were smart to do this your way, it came out perfectly.

julia said...

Beeaauuuuutiful!! I love it. You did a wonderful job on the whole thing. The waist seams matching, the lining, the sleeves, everything is great!! You can make ribbon rosettes easily. Just run a gathering stitch along one edge of the ribbon. Gather it up. Stitch the loose edges together in the back and you have a rosette. You can of course, play around with them and make them more detailed.

Karin said...

Katie, what a gorgeous little easter dress. So romantic and sweet. I bet she looks adorable in it. My compliments!

Victoria said...

Lovely Easter dress!!! And you're well ahead of schedule---I still have to make mine for my daughter! I know your daughter will look beautiful in it!!!

Michelle said...

Gorgeous! You have done a beautiful job!

Kathi said...

That is such a cute little dress!! She will look adorable in it! You are really working ahead - I am impressed! I would be making it in April!

Silknmore said...

You did a fabulous job on this dress. They're always tedious but it feels to good when you see your little darling in it.
http://hungryzombiecouture.blogspot.com/2010/02/greatest-moments-in-teaching.html

amber said...

Such a precious little dress. I particularly like the ribbon trim - a really sweet touch.