Friday, February 26, 2010

McCall's 6024

Well, this was not my favorite dress to make, but at least it's done, and I'm mostly happy with it.
Sorry for the dress form picture, my usual photographer is in Salt Lake this weekend on an interview.  Anyway, the dress - I like it, mostly.  I love the print and the colors.  I like the style, although the flounces are a bit more, well, flouncy than I thought they'd be, but they may settle down after the starch is washed out of the binding.
Here is the back.  I like the way that the ties work.  Nothing is wrapping over another tie, so it lies nice and flat.
Inside, all of the seams are french, except the sleeves which are self bound and the lower flounce which I bound with more bias tape.  I thought about lining this dress, but decided that I wanted it to be light, and didn't want to add a layer.  Alas, I should have gone with my gut and at least lined the bodice.
Look at these sad little facings!!  They will NOT stay in place, despite understitching.  I even tried topstitching them down under the flounce - nope.  They flip out.  Part of the problem is that the neckline gapes a bit.  I think because I lengthened the bodice and shouldn't have.  Oops.  In my defense, the waist marking on the pattern was way above my natural waistline.  Again, I ignored my gut and lengthened the bodice.  I snugged it up with some clear elastic, which took care of the gaping, but not those darn facings.  The only way to tame them was with the dreaded snap to hold the wrap closed.  I hate that!  If I make this dress again, I'll line the bodice or bind the neckline.  Anything to avoid those facings!!!

My other concern is that there doesn't seem to be a very generous overlap in front, but we'll have to see how it wears.

17 comments:

Cindy said...

Can't wait to see how it looks on!

gwensews said...

The dress looks pretty in the photos, despite some issues you had with it. A serger-rolled hem on the edges would allow the flouce to be a bit more drapier, I believe.

Myra said...

Wear it for a bit before Easter to find out the surprises. It is very pretty. Facings are a pain, aren't they?

Michelle said...

Very pretty! The fabric is beautiful.

Heather said...

I love the fabric, too. It's so fun and Spring-y. I hope there are no "surprises" when you wear it! ;-D

Pam said...

So modern!! Great job!! I can't wait to see it on!

Little Hunting Creek said...

Very pretty - I love the colors. I hate facings too. They never behave

Angela said...

Love the fabric! I'm not a fan of facing either. :P

kbenco said...

I love the binding and the fun colours of your dress. The binding gave me attachment envy whilst you were displaying the construction, but I agree with gwensews. If you don't love the flounciness (and I think it looks fabulous) you could try a conventional rolled hem or overlocker rolled hem for a softer edge.
Retrofitting is so dull, but if you made a bodice lining now, you could sew down the facings, or cut them off! I would hate to cover those beautiful French seams though.Would adding some fabric to make the facings deeper work?

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Looks gorgeous! Are you potentially moving to Salt Lake? (or maybe your photographer isn't your husband - I've learned to use the timer on my camera because my hubby hates taking pictures.) Can't wait to see how it wears...

julia said...

Wonderful dress. I love the fabric and hte style. I also don't like facings. You can tack them down at the seams, etc.... That might help. I wonder what would happen if you cut them narrower and turned them under like a binding?

Kathi said...

Sorry for the issues with the dress. Of course, it is hard for us to truly envision the problems until we see the action shot. I completely understand the photographer issues, though. I have a new camera and won't let the boys use this one. My husband tends to shake a little too much (even with the anti-shake mode). I really want a tripod and the remote control!
Is there a chance of you moving to Salt Lake? Is he interviewing in other areas?

Anonymous said...

I adore the ruffly collar on this!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Love the fabric and the style! I HATE facings. HATE. I avoid them whenever possible. If I don't want to line I usually choose bias binding; you can only do this if you don't mind topstitching it down, though.

Eugenia said...

I LOVE this dress - it is very pretty, the flounces are wonderful. It looks so beautifully made and the fabric is gorgeous, perfect colours for spring!

Victoria said...

I love the style and flounces on this dress and it's in a neat and fun print. I'm still marveled your dress is done WAY ahead of Easter---good deal!

amber said...

The dress is so pretty, I'm sorry that the facings are giving you fits. :(