Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Butterick 5335

I think this fabric may be bad luck!  This is the second (and last!) top I've made from it that I've been less than overjoyed with.  I mean, it's not a complete wadder, but it ain't great, either.
It doesn't look too bad on, actually.  What I dislike is the utter lack of shape and the wide, open armholes, neither of which are apparent in the line drawing.  In fact, the line drawing shows an almost hourglass shape to the top.
Here it is flat.  The side seams are almost straight, and this is AFTER I graded up a size at the bustline.  I can't imagine how it would have turned out if I'd sewn it out of the envelope.  It also has a very high neckline.  I lowered it two inches and it still isn't what I would call low.  According to Trinny and Susannah busty girls need lower necklines.  I'm just sayin'.
The armhole is also quite low and wide.  Bra is visible, which I why I am wearing a turtleneck underneath in the top shot.
Here you can see that the sleeve hem actually dips into the bodice front.  I think the only way to fix that would be to totally redraft the pattern, since it would effect the raglan seam.  I'm so not going to do that when there are so many other raglan tops to try!!  You can also see that the neckline treatment was a simple hem.  While I'm not opposed to that, I really prefer a band for a knit top.  Overall, I think this gets a thumbs down, although I like some of the other views in the pattern, so the pattern as a whole may still be a keeper.
I was hoping that this top would work out, as this was sort of a muslin for a lovely piece of knit from Gorgeous Fabrics that I really want to use.  I only have a yard and the print has a big repeat, so I need a simple design.  If you have already seen this post by Lisa about supporting Ann, you know why I'm chomping at the bit to use up my Gorgeous Fabrics.  If not, surf over there.

A big thanks to all of you who shared your sewing nemesis both on the blog and Facebook.  I'm feeling better about my sleeve.  There is a very good chance I will conquer it today...

10 comments:

Myra said...

You know, I am two ways on this one. It looks fine, but if it shows more than you want, then what's the point. Also the print you used is pretty but doesn't look just right (IMO) on this top for some reason, maybe the asymmetry of the stripes. For the GF fabric, use a pattern you are sure of the fit. I would, so I didn't waste higher dollar fabric.

Kathi said...

Well, you can probably guess where I would tell you to look for a pattern for your fabric!! No, this is not the most flattering of styles. Also, I think this print is an interesting choice for you. It doesn't fit with other fabric choices of yours in the time I have been reading your blog. As such, I am not sure that this particular fabric is the best on you either. My gut tells me that it is a combination of both - the shirt and the fabric just not giving you that good, confident feeling when you wear it.

amber said...

I have this pattern in my stash, too, after seeing a really lovely version made up by Hungry Zombie Couture. After reading your thoughts, I think this might still work on me b/c I'm so teeny in the bust, but still have hips. Thus, the idea that a straight size would actually be smaller in the bust and then bell out towards the hips would be a good thing for me. :) I'm wondering if that is why is worked so well on Shannon, too, because she is a very typical pear shape as well.

I'm sorry this fabric hasn't done so well for you, though. :(

Sam Rose said...

To be honest I don't like that fabric. Maybe it doesn't photograph well. It looks OK, but it's not spectacular like some of the things I've seen you make.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Ah, see, I thought that fabric was a woven and I was thinking that's the best shape you're going to get out of a woven top with no closure. But it's a knit? Yeah, dump the pattern. There are more shapely looks out there.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your nice comments about the skirt that I made. I hope you will come back and visit me again soon.

gwensews said...

If you feel you have two tops out of the same fabric that didn't work, maybe you are just not meant to wear that particular print. You could give that top some shape though with a couple verticl darts, front and back.

Trudy said...

Thanks so much for helping me solve my tangled bobbin mess. I appreciate that you took the time.

I have just posted a scarf refashion where I took an old shirt and turned it into a gorgeous neck scarf. Next week sometime I plan to do another What I'm Wearing post. And then I need to get back to some real sewing soon. Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to visit my blog and leave comments.

Have an awesome day!

Aminat said...

I just recently made a wadder also. In my own case the fabric was fine it was just the pattern. Maybe is the fabric for you...lol. I guess you can still work the top like Gwen suggested ...I love the print though. Have a good one

Digs said...

Can I swim against the tide here? I like the top and the print, and the the way it looks on you. Not every garment has to look like it's been molded to one's body. It's a nice raglan cap sleeve, which I'd always prefer over a regular cap sleeve. Tweaking the armhole by raising it a tad to prevent showage, lowering the neckline a bit more, giving the side seams a tiny waistline curve are easy to do, and who says you won't find other issues with a new pattern you pull out of the envelope?