Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pioneer flair

I am a member of my Relief Society presidency at church, and this coming Sunday we decided to have a little extra fun (and to go along with the lesson being taught) we are going to wear pioneer bonnets. I volunteered to make aprons to complete the picture. I am not really an apron person, but after making these three I might become one. I'm particularly in love with the red and white one, which was the first that I made. It's so fun! I was just going to follow one of the many awesome online apron tutorials that are around, but Butterick patterns were on sale this weekend, so I checked them out, and I just couldn't resist this one. It's 6567, if you want one yourself. All three aprons are made from the same pattern, same view, but I wanted each to have it's own personality, so I varied the ruffle, pocket and trim to individualize them a bit. The green gingham/birdhouse print is the closest to the actual pattern. I think it has a very sweet, pioneer sort of look.
This one was the quickest to make, since there aren't pockets and I used pre-gathered eyelet. I love this fabric and may have to go back to get some more to make a blouse for me. It was so wonderful to work with.
You'll have to wait until Sunday for an action shot. I'll be sure to get one with the bonnets, too. They are a riot!!

No comments: