Wednesday, June 17, 2009

New Look 6785 and My First FBA!

Since Myra got herself a round yoke dress, I decided that I wanted a top to match. I love this fabric and this pattern is so cute, but I knew I would end up looking like I was wearing a tent if I made it by my full bust measurement, so I decided to bite the bullet and try to do a full bust adjustment so that I can make a top that is not a knit that actually fits both my shoulders AND the girls.
And look! It worked!! I did have to readjust the dart (I added a dart!!), after the fact, but otherwise it really wasn't that hard. I used the tutorial here, and did have to add a dart where there was no dart before. And here is my little dart. Not bad, eh? I am so excited about my new skill! Now I can make cute tops that fit!!

3 comments:

The Mommy said...

Slash and spread -- a time-honored technique.
The FBA is one of the hardest alterations to learn, but makes total sense once you do it.
Congrats!!
The top looks great!
I'm still not sure about the fabric -- it looks like it ought to be covering a love seat in a parlor.
It's so strange to see you in any color but pink, black, silver or white.
The top, however, looks great, and yu did a wonderful job!

Amanda said...

That's a really cute shirt! You did really well on it!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! I've been wanting a pattern like this for some time - I think I will order this pattern after seeing how well it turned out for you.