Saturday, June 6, 2009

Buttercup Bag!

This is my interpretation of Made by Rae's Buttercup Bag. How cute is that? Here is the inside. Pretty lining... You can't really tell, but there is also a little pocket.
This was such a fun project! The pattern looks complex, but is really quite simple. The instructions are easy to follow. And the end result can't help but be cute! Another big bonus - it only takes two fat quarters to make. I got mine at Walmart, so they were a buck each. Add the snap and buttons and this freaking adorable bag was about 10 bucks. Sweeeeet.
The only down side, for me at least, is that it is a rather small bag. While this adds to it's adorable-ness, it definitely won't fit two sippy cups, four diapers, wipes, a bag of pretzels, three fruit snacks, Cheerios, and six Matchbox cars, which is the approximate contents of my bag. So, obviously this bag is not for me. When I saw the pattern the first time on Rae's blog, I immediately though of my sister-in-law, Heather. She is super cute, ridiculously fashionable and LOVES bags. So, this one is for her.
I followed the pattern pretty faithfully, which isn't like me, with the exception of the addition of craft interfacing to the bag outer. I like a bag to have a bit of body of it's own. I think that I will do that the next time I make this as well, as I like how it makes the bag feel - more sturdy than if it were just quilting cotton. It also might work to use Home Dec fabric or something thick. You'd get the same effect. I also think that next time I'll add another pocket, cell phone sized.
Did I mention that I love this bag?! I hope Bebbs likes it.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

cute cute cute! i've had that tutorial/pattern printed out for awhile now, but feel like i would only get away with a purse that small at a wedding. ( :

Loved your last post - by the way. Homemade gifts are always the best.

Amanda said...

That is so cute! Man, I wish I knew how to sew!