Monday, May 18, 2015

Vogue 8575

It's getting warmer, which means all the dresses! This fun pink printed ITY from FabricMart was begging to become a summer dress! I decided to try out a new pattern this time, although it isn't dramatically different in style from my usual favorites, it does have a few fun features.
This is Vogue 8575, now OOP. It is dated 2009. The pattern has a wrap bodice with shoulder princess seams. The bodice is gathered into a front band just under the bust which has ties attached. The skirt is in two lengths and is also gathered at center front and back. There is both a set in and kimono sleeve option.
It's hard to see the details in my busy print, so here is the line drawing. I really like the details, especially the bodice princess seams, which make for easy fitting.
I made view C, mostly. I did end up chopping 4 inches off the length after I was finished. The skirt hit me an a supremely unflattering spot, and just looked dumpy at the longer length. A few more inches and it would have been a graceful maxi, but no. The only other alteration I made was to do an on-the-fly princess seam FBA to add width to the bust. Since I usually have to shorten the bodice on Vogue patterns, I didn't add length for my FBA, and I think the seam falls well under the bust.
I also added some elastic to the neckline to pull it in snugly to the chest. The neckline finish is quite nice. The pattern uses the center front and back panels as self facings, so the front and back bodice are double layered. The finish is nice and clean, inside and out. You can also see that the kimono sleeve is a fairly slim and sleek one. Not too much fabric billowing or bunching under the arm.
In back, there is a tie that attaches to the sides of the front midriff band. There is no band in back - the bodice attaches directly to the skirt. Both bodice and skirt are supposed to be gathered to a specific length and then just stitched together, which seems like not a great plan, so I gathered the back waistline with clear elastic in the seam.
Overall, it's a fun, cheerful dress to wear, and I feel great in it. I'm so glad Me Made May has helped me jump start my mojo. New dresses are so fun!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

My feet mentally hurt looking at your shoes, but they look great on you! This dress has such great style, and the colors just scream you!

Becky W said...

Lovely! ITY prints are so fun. :)

Heather Bee said...

Great look on you Katie.

CapitalChic said...

You know what, I haven't worn a wrap dress in ages, and looking at your beautiful dress I now can't think why that is! You look great in this, it's perfectly fitted and sewn and I love your shoes too.