Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Advance 9938: Summer in the Sun for Barbie

A couple of weeks ago, my Mother in Law brought over a bag full of fabric. Mostly small pieces, and a lot of them small prints and solids! Just was Dr. Barbie ordered!
I had to start out with the fresh floral print. Large scale florals are big this spring, and I think Barbie (or Evanora in this case) wears it exceptionally well.
The pattern for this sundress is Advance 9938, a Barbie/Mattel licensed pattern from the 60s. I really like this pattern! I have made a couple of other pieces from it, and they all fit extremely well.
I made a few very minor changes. The pattern calls for straps, which I omitted. The fit is close enough that the dress stays up fine on its own. I also added some lace to the bodice and ribbon at the waistline. The pattern calls for a petticoat to be added under the skirt, but this cotton has plenty of body, so I skipped it.
In back, there are snap closures with decorative buttons or beads. With a design this fitted, I find snaps are more secure than velcro. There are two tiny snaps with green buttons to pick up the green in the print. I love the effect.
I really love this whole look. I totally sewed it on a whim, and I'm so glad I did. It's perfect for Evie!

7 comments:

Kathleen Cooper said...

This is so pretty - I want one for myself!

Lori said...

Beautiful dress and Evanora did a gorgeous photo shoot.

Kyle Burkhardt said...

very cute and I agree with Lori--I like the outdoors-in-the-tulips pix!!

Rhonda said...

Hey!, this is perfect for Rhonda!!!!!
Fabulous!

Heather Bee said...

She's so fab! The little green buttons are perfect with the print.

Rachelle Green said...

Great print! Love the pendant!

Levone said...

Gorgeous dress for Barbie! My nine year old daughter started on a tunic for her 18" doll last night. It's a great way to use up scraps.