Thursday, December 13, 2012

Princess Merida's dress: Burda 9648

Whew! Just a few days before we leave for Texas, I managed to get Myra's Princess Merida dress finished.
I'll post proper modeled photos after she's opened it for Christmas, but for the moment, hanger shots will have to do. As a reminder,
This is the dress I was attempting to copy. I think this comes pretty close, while still being playtime friendly. The pattern I used was Burda 9648. The most critical design change I made was to use a knit fabric - panne velvet and metallic jersey from Hancock Fabrics. Since I used a knit, I omitted the back zipper and used a band at the neckline rather than facing or lining.
I changed the neckline to a square shape just like Merida's. Her's is trimmed in gold, but I just used the metallic knit as the band fabric. The band is mitered at the corners, and the finished width is 1/2 inch.

For Merida's belt, I was loath to make a separate piece that Myra would likely just lose, so instead I pieced a waistband and strip down center front of the skirt. These are all 1 1/2 inches wide. I initially thought it would be easiest to applique the gold knit onto the skirt, but this knit is quite thin and unruly, so piecing was a better way to go.
The bottom of Merida's dress is decorated with a wide, beaded and embroidered band. Beading and embroidery seemed a bit much to me for a dress up dress, but my metallic knit is pretty bling-tastic on it's own. I used a 4 inch wide band with a coverstitched hem. Since the skirt is gored, the band is shaped rather than just a plain rectangle.
A better view of Merida's square neckline
I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, and I hope my wee lassie likes it, too. I'll let you know.


  1. I think you made the perfect choices for making it playtime friendly! I bet she is going to love it!

  2. So adorable! I'm sure she'll love it. You should google the software for dressing Merida. There is a lot in there for a seamstress to love. Very fascinating.

  3. Myra is so lucky to have such a crafty mom. It looks incredible!

  4. I have nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger award and the One Lovely Blog Award! See my blog for your badge and instructions!!

  5. Very sweet! She's sure to love it, especially since it's an easy-on one-piece costume.