Thursday, October 11, 2012

Amy Butler Business Card Keeper

I'm having some cards made for Sewing Summit, which makes me feel a little self conscious, actually. But there it is - I'll have cards on the off chance someone actually wants one. I thought it would be nice to have a little self-sewn keeper for the cards, but I am NOT a bag maker. That's your disclaimer, right there.
And here is my card holder! I used this free pattern by Amy Butler. It went together really easily, and I thought the pattern was good and well thought out.
Here are the guts. It's a very simple pattern. Did I mention that I am not a bagmaker? More on that in a moment. The pattern recommended quilting cotton, but I don't have much of that in the stash, so I used scraps left over from various projects. I also don't keep peltex around, so I had to get a little creative with the interfacing. I ended up using Pam's Shirt Crisp for the main pieces and hair canvas for the back piece (where it called for peltex). Since peltex is a bit thicker than hair canvas, I used three layers of canvas that I serged around the edges. I also used hair canvas in the card slot section (pink), but I made the mistake of leaving the seam allowances untrimmed, so the seams there are incredibly bulky. I had to hammer the heck out of them to get the thing to fold.
The closure is velcro, which I am extremely 'meh' about. I wish I had used a snap instead. Velcro just seems cheap to me. All in all though, I'm pretty pleased with it. It'll hold my cards, and I think it expresses my garment making tendencies.

4 comments:

Myrna said...

Cards are a fabulous way to pass your information across correctly. I use mine all the time.

Jillybejoyful said...

I made that pattern a couple of years ago, but never used it :( I think a VERY thin, but strong fabric is essential to the success, at least for me, otherwise it can be quite bulky.

That said, yours is very cute, and I agree that a fabric card holder is perfect for a sewist! Distribute your cards with delight!

Laura said...

That looks cute, and handy. Thanks for the link to the pattern - looks like a great way to use up some small scraps you love.

Joy said...

I'm not a bag maker, either. Well, you can't do everything! But this turned out really cool. The velcro's not bad - at least it can't pull out like snaps tend to.