Monday, September 17, 2012

Vogue 8601 - progress

Hey, sorry for disappearing off the face of the earth there! My mojo kind of tanked last week and I really didn't do anything, not even blog surfing. I have been following along with the Mini Wardrobe SAL at PR, and after seeing a few fabulous jackets on the thread there, I was ready to jump back into making mine.
I always start a lined jacket with the lining. It sort of acts as a final muslin of sorts, making sure that the fit is where I want it, before I start working on the much more time and labor intensive shell.
I'm happy, so we're moving forward. You may notice that I have elected to line the peplum part of the jacket with fashion fabric rather than lining. Since the hemline in front is cut away, I feared that the lining would show, and while I LOVE my lining fabric, I didn't always want it on display. If my fabric were thicker, I think this wouldn't have worked well, but this is quite a lightweight wool.
Speaking of the lining fabric, isn't it adorable??? Shoes are my other (non-textile) obsession, so I had to have this fabric. It's poly charmeuse, but the print was so cute, I didn't care. I think it's absolutely divine with this wool. The pale pink is a perfect match.
The sleeve is shaped with darts, but in the lining, I just made tucks. They're a bit easier to sew, and the released section gives the lining a bit of ease for movement. I generally convert darts to tucks in a lined garment for this very reason.
Since the lining made me happy, I went ahead and started on the shell. After the mojo crash last week, I knew I wouldn't have the stamina for hand tailoring, so I'm trying the fusible approach. So far, it is looking pretty good and it certainly is easier and faster. I feel like a bit of a cheater though. I guess we'll see how the jacket comes out in the end.

4 comments:

Judith said...

Smart idea to work on the lining first!!! Love your colours...

Karin said...

Looking good! The lining fabric is so pretty!

Cindy said...

I'm making a mental note about sewing the lining first...I would have never thought to do that! The lining is indeed super pretty. I can't wait to see the finished jacket.:)

Marjie said...

Sometimes you need to cheat on something just to get going. That's going to be a pretty jacket, and I'm glad your shoe printed fabric helped you get started!