Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Vogue 8330 in red

I just finished up my third pair of Vogue 8330 jeans, which is sort of amazing for me, since I generally am done with a pattern after one make. But these jeans have been a real workhorse.
This time, I went for a bit less of a basic by sewing them in a bright red stretch twill (from Fashion Fabrics Club). Since the fabric has so much impact, I went very minimal with the stitching and embellishment. I just did a single line of topstitching, rather than a double, and used a matching topstitching thread.
I do think that hardware is one of the elements that can keep your home sewn jeans from having that "happy hands at home" look. Rivets are easy to apply and definitely give you a more professional appearance. These are the basic rivets produced by Dritz that are available at all of the big box craft stores, but you can get more fun rivets here and here. I am also a serious convert to the heavy duty snap, although a jeans tack button is also a great look. What I love about the snap is that I don't have to fight to sew a buttonhole through all of those layers in the waistband.
Since my heavy duty snap was black, I decided to paint it with nail polish so that it would match my jeans. Needle nose pliers held my snap in place while I painted it. You can also use model paints from the craft store, but nail enamel works great if you have the color you need. Don't forget to lightly sand your snap before you paint it. I just used an emery board. It helps the paint to adhere well so that it won't chip.
Elizabeth shared her amazing tip for staying organized while sewing jeans, so I thought I'd share mine with you as well. For me, keeping all my hardware and application tools in one place is critical, so I am not searching for the rivet applicator tool in one drawer and the actual rivets in another. I keep a large ziploc, into which goes all of the tools and hardware. Each type of hardware is stored in a smaller ziploc with the tool used to apply it. Tools that I use for multiple pieces of hardware are separate, but still stored in the larger ziploc. This way, when I'm ready to sew a pair of jeans, I just grab my "jeans" bag and all of the tools and hardware I need are right there when I need them.
Another thing that has helped me is having my own set of "man" tools, so I don't have to go hunting in the garage when I need a hammer or pliers. I have my own small tool box with a basic set of tools that I keep in the sewing room. I use it all the time and not just for sewing jeans!
Inside, I used a polka dot cotton for my waistband facing and pockets. I am a total convert to the pocket extension into the fly. It is no harder to sew, but it adds some support in the belly area and keeps the front pockets from gaping. I'm never sewing another pair of pants without adding this feature.
I wore my jeans to the grocery store and a random guy told me I looked like Betty Boop. I think it was the dark hair and red pants with sky high heels more than an actual resemblance, but if you want to tell me I look like a vintage pinup, that's OK with me! Even if she is a cartoon.
I'm wearing my new jeans with a top I copied from my favorite RTW layering tee. This is another "pattern" that I have used to death. I think I have actually made about 6 versions of this tee. It's so versatile. I think I'll make a red one now that I have red thread on the serger...  Hmm, then I should probably get going on that wedding dress. 30 yards of ivory shantung/organza/lace/tulle is staring me in the face!

23 comments:

Cindy said...

Betty Boop never looked so good!

Cole's Corner said...

I'm fairly new to reading your blog. My Mom (bconky) told me about you.

I just LOVE those red pants! Super, super cute.

Elizabeth Made This said...

Betty Boop is totally awesome, and I can see the resemblance with the red jeans and fantastic wedges. I love the idea of having your own "man" tools--I'm always looking for a tools, and DH always comes looking for them in my room if they're mysteriously missing. I do have my own mallet, but a hammer is better.

Pam said...

Congratulations! These are fab! I love them and I love the vintagy type of picture! And, great shoes!!

KID, MD said...

Yeah, the hubby got tired of hunting for his hammer and got me my own set a couple of years ago. I love it so much. It's just a basic hammer, wrench, couple of screwdrivers and pliers in a girlie toolbox, but I use it all the time. Probably more often then he uses his! :)

BConky said...

Love the red jeans. Cute.

Lori said...

Super cute jeans

Kyle said...

those jeans are amazing! great comment from that guy!

Tanit-Isis said...

Awesome. I have red denim, I have the pattern, need to find the time to just make them. I keep getting distracted by sundresses, though. :)

I have a little plastic box I bought at Michael's ages ago that came with a set of jewelry tools---pliers and wire-cutters and tweezers and the like. It now holds those plus whatever other sewing metalwork I need---eyelets, rivets, jeans buttons, and all the various dies for attaching them. Sometimes it's touch and go fitting everything in, but at least it's all together and hard to lose. The only thing that doesn't fit is my hammer...

MushyWear said...

Great looking jeans! I know what you mean about having your own tools. They come in so handy!

gwensews said...

Those are awesome jeans! Jeans in colors are so popular now, and you can have any colors you wish. Especially since you have the perfectly fitted jean pattern. I like your idea of the jeans tools bag-everything ready to go.

Anonymous said...

You look stunning in these. Well one
Brenda in the Boro UK

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Okay, first, you look awesome! Love the shoes! Second, I have to get that pattern. And lastly, awesome tip about painting the snap.

Uta said...

These are super cute! I'd keep sewing that pattern if I were you :)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

These are awesome and I just love your photo shoot. You look like a million bucks!

Amanda said...

My goodness i can't imagine why you would ever buy clothes in a store, your pieces are amazing!

Lynneb said...

They are SO perfect! I have to say, even though I didn't make my red skinnies, they are one of my favorite garments to wear this Spring.

Lisa said...

You look fabulous in these red jeans. I am so jealous of your TNT jeans pattern one day I will conquer pants in general.

Digs said...

Yowza!

Janine said...

Definitely a compliment ! You look fantastic in those red jeans. ( We have lots of celebrex stuff around the house too - they sure know how to market that medication !)

Kristy Chan said...

you look fantastic! Funnily enough I've been wavering between sewing some red pants or not but I think you have just helped me make up my mind! Hopefully I look half as good as you do

Victoria said...

Super cute Lady!!! You look great in those red jeans! That's such a phenomenal pattern---I can understand why you keep using it:)

Joy said...

Very nicely done!