My second to last piece in the Wardrobe Basics SAL is done! I still need to make my LBD, but I think I'm going to come in just under the April 30th goal. Yay!
this Alexander McQueen skirt that floated around Pinterest and really wanted my own. I spent a lot of time contemplating this skirt and went back and forth on what pattern to use. Initially, I thought I'd use McCall's 3630, since it is a TNT for me, but it is a pretty straight skirt from the hip down, and the McQueen original is clearly pegged. I wasn't even thinking about it when I went in to Hancock's to pick up a couple of Burda's that had been on my list. When I brought home Burda 7248 I realized it was the perfect base for this knockoff.
Vogue 1269. Drafting the flounce from scratch would have been pretty easy, but the Vogue was a perfect fit as it was, so I decided to go with it. In retrospect, and in comparing the pictures of the original with mine, I can see that my flounce is a little bit shorter, although since my skirt portion is a bit longer, I end up at the same place.
the original was lined or not, I suspect it probably was. I lined the upper portion with an acetate jacquard lining which I cut on the bias, so that it would have some stretch with the bengaline. You can see from the photos on Net-a-porter that the original flounce had Hong Kong finished seams, which I replicated. The original had a faced hem. I really wish I had done that or lined the flounce. I did a narrow machine stitched hem, but it was a serious pain. Since the flounce is circular, the edge includes quite a few bias sections, all of which stretch in different ways. It was ugly. I think I did more ripping on the hem then I did sewing the entire rest of the skirt. Live and learn.