Saturday, February 4, 2012

Sewing For Boys: Two-Faced Pants & Kickin' Back Sweats

For this month the Sewing For Boys Sew Along over at Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy is making pants. The patterns are the Two-Faced pants (size 3M-18M) and the Kickin' Back Sweats (size 2/3-6/7). Lucky me to have boys in both sizes! I got to make both!!
For Duncan, who is 13 months old, I made the 12-18M size in the Two-Faced Pants. For Logan, who is 5 years old, but has short legs for his age, I made the 6/7 in the Kickin' Back Sweats, but had to shorten it about 4 inches. Easily done since they aren't hemmed. I just lopped the extra length off and dotted some fray check on the end of the seam so it wouldn't unravel.
The patterns are quite similar - one seam type pants with cased elastic waistbands. Both have pockets - more on that in a moment - and have hems left raw. They are both fairly loose fitting and are suitable for both woven and knit fabrics. I used a snuggly sweatshirt fleece for these. The Two-Faced Pants are intended to be made in two different fabrics, one for each leg. It's a cute look, but since I wanted to boys to match, I didn't do it. Next time...
Each pant had it's own pocket. This little rounded one is from the Two-Faced Pant pattern. I decided to use both pockets for both pants. I used the fuzzy side of the sweatshirting for one face of the pocket and a cotton print for the other face. For the baby pants, I used the cotton print as the main fabric and folded down the fleece for the "flap".
For the big pants, I used the fleecy side as the main fabric. This is the pocket from the Kickin' Back Sweats pattern. I turned down one corner to echo the flap in the other pocket.
Here is the side with the square pockets on both boys.
Overall, I think this is a great basic pant pattern for boys. I'm sure I'll be using it again for both of them.

5 comments:

Ana e os Viraventos said...

WOW, these are great! I made the Kickin' Back Sweats in corduroy for both my boys (2 and 5 years old) and they are perfect! Very confortable. Now I need to try your version, with knit fabric!

gwensews said...

Those are super looking pants, and don't little boys just love pockets? They love places to carry their treasures. Mostly match-box cars!

KID, MD said...

Oooh, corduroy... I love that!

KID, MD said...

Matchbox and Thomas the train! Boy pants definitely must have pockets.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Adorable pants! I love the pocket details, they look good for putting little boy treasures in.