Saturday, February 11, 2012

The reason I learned...

to crochet was because I wanted to put crochet edgings on my knits. Flowers are just a bonus.
I thought a nice place to start would be a dishcloth, since they are small and have nice straight edges. I found a book in the library called Knitting Loves Crochet that was very helpful. The first project in the book is a simple garter stitch dishcloth (of the type that I learned to knit on), to which you can add your choice of edging.
I chose a shell border. Shell stitch always seems to me to be the quintessential crochet stitch. Anyway, the resulting washcloth isn't perfect, but it is cute, and matched Myra's princess kitchen. She likes it very much.

This week has been kind of a crazy one, so I haven't spent a ton of time in my sewing room. My fur coat muslins are hanging out, awaiting a decision. I really appreciate everyone's input and you've all given me a lot to think about. I'm going to let the ideas simmer for a bit before a make a final pattern choice. In the meantime, I traced and cut a wearable muslin of Vogue 8747, which will be my white blouse, if it works out as a muslin.
I haven't gotten very far, but here is the front gathered section into the front band. The fabric is a very pretty teal voile from Fabric Mart. I'm not sure the color is really true to life. I took several pictures and they were all not quite right, but this is the closest. It is an intense blue teal with a very nice sheen. Hopefully I can show it to you all in a few days.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I like the front of the band on the blouse, I am working on my fur vest, I don't think it is me.

Liesl said...

A princess kitchen definitely needs a pretty washcloth like that. I like the shell edging. Have fun with your crochet experiments.

Marjie said...

I have a couple of friends who knit wash cloths, and swear they're better than commercial terry ones. I'm sure Myra will enjoy hers greatly.