Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Image magazine Winter 2010/11 M1003

Have you ever gotten to the end of a project and felt like there had to be more to do? I've been doing so many relatively complex things lately, that when I hemmed this cardigan, it was almost a let down. Really, that was all? But I want to sew more!
The pattern for the cardi is from My Image magazine, the Winter 2010/11 issue, which was their first issue. I'm also wearing my Simplicity 3536 top, New Look 6816 silk pants, and my recently completed Escargot cloche.
This is the wearable muslin of my tie waist topper for the Wardrobe Basics SAL. I have some leopard print sweater knit for the final version, but since this is my first time sewing a My Image pattern, I wanted to make sure that the draft was good before I cut my precious leopard sweater knit.
This is the M1003 cardigan from the aformentioned magazine. It is pretty basic, but has some nice touches. My favorite thing about this is the shaped front band. Instead of just a straight cut front, the band forms a V neck, which I find flattering. The sleeves are banded rather than hemmed, and I particularly like the length, which comes to the top of my knees. The drafting of the pattern is very good, and the sizing seems to be typical for the European patterns in that there isn't a ridiculous amount of ease. By my high bust, I am between a 36 and a 38, but my waist and hip both fall into the 38, so I cut the 38, blending out to a 40 in front at the bustline. This worked well for this relatively unfitted garment.
Here is a closer shot of the neckline. You can see the way that the band curves to fit the V neck. In this slippery ITY it was a bit of a bear to sew, but it shouldn't be any trouble in a firmer knit, which is what this pattern is designed for. My major complaint with this pattern was the instructions. I've become accustomed to Burda's weird and wacky instructions, so my expectations aren't high, but these were incomprehensible. I'm hoping that they have hired a better translator since this was published. It was abysmal. This is a simple garment, so I was able to puzzle out what they were talking about, but mostly I just winged it and used the pictures in the magazine to figure it out. I'm pretty sure I did the front bands my own way. Fortunately, the magazine has several images of each garment made up in different fabrics, so you can see how they are constructed.
I am reasonably pleased with how it came out. I think the floral print skews Asian, and gives it an almost kimono-like look, although I also think it is a little bathrobe like. For the leopard print, I think I will need to shorten it to a hip length. Knee length leopard may be a bit much - even for me.

15 comments:

Anna said...

Great review. I already bought all issues of My Image and Young Image. Great magazines.

I must say the translations of the Summer '11, Winter '12 and Summer '12 editions are way better.

Tanit-Isis said...

Hmm, would I be flattering myself to think I triggered something? Or maybe this was the plan all along. :D It looks warm and cozy, although I'd probably lean towards lounging with lingerie as opposed to wearing it out.

KID, MD said...

That is good to hear! I wondered about that, since this is the first issue. I'm glad to know that they have improved.

Marie said...

Looks great - you are really powering along with your wardrobe plan. Meanwhile I am barely hitting the machine these days.

Marjie said...

I think it would be better shortened a little bit. It almost looks like it was intended for someone much taller - and I'm pretty sure you're not too short!

Janine said...

I think you have styled your new cardy really well - I love Asian style prints . Thanks for the review - I have considered buying these magazines.

Mary Nanna said...

oh my gooodness you are popping out some fantastic outfits! Really inspirational!

meli88a said...

This is going to look awesome in leopard print!

Lori said...

Very pretty sweater, I have made this one, too and you are so right about the instructions. Can't wait to see it in the leopard print.

Elizabeth Made This said...

The v-neck is a really nice detail on an indispensable garment. Can a person have too many long cardigans in winter? I think not. So much cuter than sweatshirts.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I love this look on you! Very chic!

Victoria said...

Lovely cardigan! You picked the perfect fabric and I love your styling:)

Lynneb said...

I like it! The fabric and style have an Asian influence that I like...and that floral floaty knit is everywhere in RTW. Nice job, Kate!

MushyWear said...

I love the fabric. You've styled this really well.

Lisette M said...

This is the pattern which decided me to buy that first My Image and although I made a dress from the same issue, I haven't made the cardigan yet! I love your version!