Sunday, February 5, 2012

Crochet

In the last couple of years since I learned to knit (Thank you, Beth!!!), I've really enjoyed the process of creating fabric from "scratch". I'm working on some mittens for Mitch at the moment and I was just marveling at the thumb gusset increases. I love the process of shaping fabric to fit a three dimensional form. So fun. Anyway, I have been collecting fun knitting patterns (because I need more stash...), and many of my favorites have crochet details, like lovely lace edging or attached floral elements. So, I decided I need to learn to crochet.
I picked up a book at the library and found a hook I generally use for picking up dropped stitches. And I made a chain!
And a swatch! I started with several rows of single crochet, then some half double crochet, and went from there. I think my stitches improved a little as I went along, although I still have far to go.
Anyway, swatching was fun and all, but I ain't gonna lie y'all. I got bored and looked up a YouTube tutorial for a flower.
And I made one!!! My first crocheted FO!! I put a little ladybug button in the middle. There is a hole there that I wasn't a fan of. I am really a visual learner, so it was much more helpful watching someone else form the stitches. I still have lots to learn, but I think it was a fun start.
I stitched on a clip with the thread tails so that Myra can wear it as a hair clip or on her clothes, as she likes. This crochet thing is fun!

18 comments:

Sam Rose said...

It's really cute! The ladybug really makes it!

Karin said...

Adorable. I have been wanting to learn how to crochet for a while, but I fear I don't have the patience for it. But seeing this I think I should reconsider. Cute!

Anonymous said...

Well done. Isn't the Internet wonderful . It has helped me to learn to do a magic cast on for toe up socks. I'd never heard of it before and I've been knitting since I was 4 years old. It's so much fun when nearly everything you have on is made by yourself . It's also very sad that the skills would be lost if there weren't those of who are interested in learning all the time. Once you've got the hang of crochet , try tatting.
Best wishes
Brenda in the Boro UK

gwensews said...

Good for you! Crochet is fun. As is knitting. And sewing. There is room for it all in our lives.

daniKate designs said...

Wow, you've picked up crocheting very quickly!
Those holes pop up pretty much every time you work in the round. If you want to avoid them, you can start with a "magic ring": http://www.planetjune.com/blog/tutorials/magic-ring-right-handed/

KID, MD said...

Thanks!! I've had these ladybug buttons forever. It was nice to finally find a home for one.

KID, MD said...

I thought that as well, but after some false starts, it was pretty easy. It really helped having the video to watch so that I could see how the stitches were formed. Plain pictures in a book just don't do it for me.

KID, MD said...

Socks are next on my want to learn list! My sister knits them all the time, but they've intimidated me. I'm determined to learn how this summer! Tatting lace would be so fun, too. What a great way to make a garment really yours.

KID, MD said...

Yes! It's all about priorities. I've never in my life been busier than I am now, but I just find the time I need to do what I need to do. It's what we do, right?

KID, MD said...

Great tutorial!! Thank you!! My next flower will not have a hole... but it might still have a ladybug. :)

Marjie said...

I can't knit, but I do crochet. I make blankets for anyone I know who has a baby. With the pattern I use, it only takes 2 or 3 nights, while I'm reading and/or watching TV. Your flower is adorable, and I'm sure Myra will just adore it!

Sandi said...

Very cute! I know how to crochet - haven't in quite a while though - but I don't knit (yet).

KID, MD said...

My kiddos all have beautiful blankets crocheted by my MIL which they all love.

KID, MD said...

I think once you have one down, the other comes more easily. I found myself thinking how this would work if I was knitting it, which helped the crochet make sense. Although a yarn over in crochet is a very different thing in knit! Messed with my head for a bit.

Lisa said...

I would so love to learn to Crochet. I can knit but I have always wished I had learned to crochet. My Nan was the best at crochet and I so wish I'd learned before she passed. I must try with a book I suppose.

Joy said...

So cute, especially with the button. Now, does Myra understand the significance of being the recipient of your first crocheted FO?

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

So cute! My grandmother taught me to crochet AND knit when I was 11 - I made baby blankets out the wazoo and actually had some mittens in progress when I started sewing classes and got distracted forever. Myra's lucky you have all that knowledge to pass down!

Witch Hazel said...

That is just adorable, and oh so pretty. I just used these very same ladybug buttons!
Great job on this crochet project!
Personally, I can crochet but not knit. Funnily enough, my husband taught me to crochet when I was pregnant with our daughter, lol. Who knew he knew how to crochet?