Friday, May 6, 2011

Simplicity 3752

Aprons are not something that I generally think of sewing or even using, but I'm dreadfully messy in the kitchen and spaghetti sauce stains! I made this one a couple of years ago, but it's so pretty, I never wear it. So, when my sewing group suggested aprons, I got right on it.
This one is fun, and hopefully the bright colors will remind me to wear it and save my clothes. The pattern is Simplicity 3752, view A, which I chose because I like the fitted bodice. A note about fit - The apron isn't quite as bodacious as it appears on my dressform. The outer edges have some movement ease that blouse out a little, making it appear a little more like a Dolly Parton apron. It was nicely drafted and easy to assemble, except for the pointed waistband. As anyone who has tried to sew an inside corner to an outside corner knows, you need to reinforce and clip the inside corner. There was nothing in the instructions about that, despite the fact that you do it 4 different times. I'd call that a fatal error!
The back ties make me happy though. I love that they are the exact length of the apron skirt when tied. The inside finish is really nice as well. The bodice is fully lined and the waistband is faced, so the only exposed seams are the two seams in the skirt section. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this cute little apron and I can see  making it again, if I can only remember to wear it!

10 comments:

Myra said...

I am the same - I told Mike the other day I need to wear one and save my clothes as well.

Beth said...

I have the same pattern and am planning the same view--which is funniest b/c our last aprons were the same, too!

(Yours is sewn though and mine is still on the LIST)

Cindy said...

It's super cute and bright and cheerful! I had to giggle about the explanation concerning the bodice...when I first saw the picture I thought that nursing must be really making your 'cups runneth over'!

Anonymous said...

That is super cute, pattern and fabric. My sister made me a cute apron a couple of years ago but I too never wear it because it is so cute I don't want to get it dirty:)

MushyWear said...

This is such a happy apron. I have one that my mother-in-law brought back from Italy. It's canvas and very practical. I wear it all the time, but I really want to make a cute feminine apron. Thanks for the inspiration!

Marjie said...

I never wore an apron until a friend made and gave me one. Then she made and gave me another! Sometimes I even remember to wear them, mostly when making spaghetti sauce (and I "forget" to take it off before I eat), or when making bread or flour-based foods. Yours is really pretty!

Jillybejoyful said...

Oh gosh...I'm like you. I KNOW I need to wear an apron (the spots on my clothes tell me that constantly), so why is it so difficult to remember to just put it on BEFORE the spatters start flying???

Very cute apron!

Big in Japan said...

Hee hee, I'm glad you mentioned the Dolly Parton factor because I may have felt rude bringing it up, but seriously that was my first thought when I saw the photo! It's very cheery and I like the contrast waist/tie.

HeathersSphere said...

Such a delightfully cute apron!

Pam said...

Adorable (seemingly busty:)) apron - it's really fantastic! BTW, I nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award, for your awesomeness. Pam