Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ottobre 03/2011-12 sort of

A few days ago, Myra pulled some fabric out of my stash and insisted I make her a dress. I love that my children see clothes when presented with fabric. It makes me happy.
I did mean for it to be a dress. You know when they say measure twice and cut once. Well, I may have only measured once...
The pattern is from the 03/2011 issue of Ottobre. I used the "Happy Animals" lap tee (#12) and shortened it to her waist, then added a gathered skirt. Which I should have made longer. So it could have been a dress. Oh well, it's a darn cute tunic.  Can you see the other stupid thing I did?
Here is the back. Can you see it now? I bet Sascha knows... So, aside from my stupidity (if you couldn't figure it out, I sewed the lap backwards - it's supposed to lap over in the front), Myra really loves her new tunic, and I really enjoyed sewing it. See all that binding?? My coverstitch machine did it all in about 20 minutes, counting setup and me figuring it out. Seriously amazing and awesome!!! I'm still figuring out the ins and outs of the binder, since it came without any instructions. Thanks goodness for Debbie and Belinda's amazing tutorials!! I'll post a little of what I learned in a couple of days, once I've gotten some good pictures and figured a couple more things out.
'Til then, we'll be avoiding the paparazzi.

8 comments:

Cindy said...

Heh, Heh Yeah, I've made that mistake a time or two.:) Looks great and even though it didn't turn out to be a dress, it's cute over leggings!

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I couldn't see any mistake. All I see is a super cute tunic on a super cute little girl. TFS

Beth said...

Very cute!
What kind of threads are you using in your new machine? Wooly nylon or regular? I'm curious.

Beangirl said...

that is one super-cute tunic (I just thought the laps were supposed to be in the back, actually).

I wish my coverstitch machine did binding so easily. I just can't quite spring for the $150 binder attachment and the generics don't fit and require more finangling than I'm willing to attempt.

But that is some nice binding you got going on there....


-sigh- guess I have to work on that finangling as my next project.

Sascha said...

Phew, I'm not the only one making that mistake. Bet you won't do it again. I seem to be unable to stop making that darn mistake.

Oh and those tutorials are a must for coverstitch owners.

Marjie said...

that fabric is just perfect for a little girl! And a tunic is a great thing for her, too; worn with shorts, it's a "go anywhere" item for summertime!

Joy said...

So funny - but the unique lapping is not really noticeable.

I love it when my kids go shopping in my stash!

auntninn said...

So cute! I love the fabric and can see why Myra claimed it for her very own.