Friday, May 20, 2011

BWOF 07/2009-104

This poor dress has been cut out and half sewn for almost a year! I don't generally create UFOs, but I was pregnant with Duncan when I started this one, and I just couldn't make myself work on something I couldn't wear.
The pattern is BWOF 07/2009-104, which is a basic A-line shirt dress, shaped at the waist with elastic shirring. It features a collar with stand, and the pattern calls for flat felled shoulder seams so that the sleeves can be rolled up artfully. I decided that was too much work (both the seams and keeping them rolled up) so I shortened the sleeve to elbow length and elasticated the hem.
I also underlined the dress portion, since my fabric (an embroidered cotton/lycra shirting from FFC) was semi-sheer.
Burda called for shirring the waist panels by zigzagging over elastic cord, then pulling the cords to a designated measurement. I'm not terribly confident of my ability to zigzag over cord without catching it in the stitching, so I thought about shirring with elastic thread in the bobbin, but you don't have much control over the finished size that way, so I elected to use clear elastic, cut to the finished length per the pattern.
Here is the inside of the back waist panel, with the elastic in place. I like the way it worked. The elastic feels sturdy but still soft and comfortable, and the fit is excellent.
You can see how nicely the elastic shapes the waist. There is just a tiny bit of negative ease - hence the three tightly spaced buttons at the waistline. I also like the way the underlining serves to give the skirt body. I was going for a casual, comfortable dress and didn't want to wear a slip or petticoat with it.
From the back, the bodice blouses over the waistline and the skirt echoes the A line shape. It's surprisingly shapely for a completely shapeless dress. It's amazing what a bit of elastic can do.
What do you think? I'm pretty happy, although maybe I should put on my pearls and clean the house.

23 comments:

Karin said...

Cute! And I love you in your first pose, very elegant :)

BeccaA said...

What an adorable shirt dress! I love the shirring at the waist. Thanks for showing how you did the clear elastic--what a great solution.

Victoria said...

SUPER cute dress! I love the shirring, style and fabric. It was definitely worth the wait. I totally agree with the "I won't sew it unless I can wear it now" ideology. There is no such thing as delayed gratification in sewing! LOL!

Peggy's Closet said...

This is adorable! I love the elastic treatment at the waist. ~ Peggy http://peggyscloset.blogspot.com/

Stevie said...

That is seriously cute! Shirt dresses are definitely on the list this summer!

Debbie Cook said...

This is adorable on you! Pearls for cleaning - haha!

Cindy said...

...but first you need a frilly apron over the dress!:) It's a beautiful dress and looks great on you!

Jane M said...

Wow, what fun and different dresses. Love the curvy style of the purple dress on you, definitely a date night outfit and this shirtdress takes it up a notch with that great shirring.

Beangirl said...

wonderful! Definitely pearl-and-house-cleaning worthy. Very June Cleaver (y'know, in a good way).


BAHhahah. My word verification is.... "wardsmsd"... like that's something Ward Cleaver has to deal with at work in The City all day long... "June, that MSD is just clobbering us at work". "Well, Ward, sit down and I'll make you a martini and some brownies." "June, you're the best!"

Lisa said...

Another winner Katie . I love everything about your dress.

Pam said...

Beautiful Katie! Wonderful Shirring. I wouldn't mind a tutorial from you! You are looking great!

Amy said...

I think it's adorable! It will be great to wear in the summer.

auntninn said...

Very cute! And the last pose is a little Donna Reed. :)

Adelaide B said...

The fit on that is perfect!

Anonymous said...

Very cute dress! looks cool to wear for summer.

Joy said...

I love it! I've had this traced for ages. Summer should be a good time to make it finally!

Marjie said...

Just enjoy the dress. The dirt will wait until tomorrow! Take the kiddos for ice cream!

kbenco said...

I love how you have changed the sleeves in this dress, very cute. I have a version of this dress that I wear all-the-time, but no pearls yet ;(

Sascha said...

Oh Katie, you could rock a fifties housewife dress any day. Pearls or no pearls! How big is your closet? You have a whole lotta clothes missy.

meli88a said...

This is so cute! Pearls, or a big red bead necklace would be great with it.

MushyWear said...

Totally cute. I love it. Looks very comfortable too with the fabric you chose.

angie.a said...

LOVE this. Soo stinking cute and I can't believe how "retro" it is too! I have the top version of this pattern cut out (also for about a year, but no baby excuseo n my end, haha!)

Sarahbelle said...

That's a wonderful dress!!

I love the sleeve adaptation - I like the elastic better that the roll-up with tabs.

It's very shapely.