Monday, May 16, 2011

Burda 7625

This Burda pattern has been teasing me from my pattern drawers since it came home with me. I just love the fun style lines.
The dolman sleeve is very popular right now, but tops with this sleeve tend to lack waist definition, which is so not a good look for me. This one has the sleeve stop at the empire line and is fitted through the waist. Much more flattering to this busty gal.
The pattern is Burda 7625. It was a pretty easy pattern to sew, despite the interesting details. I also love that Burda actually writes patterns for knits in a way that makes sense. The Big 4 seems to think that knits and wovens can be sewn the same way. Crazy talk. This pattern included instructions for stabilizing the shoulders with fusible tape and the back empire line with elastic. Very nice. The instructions made good sense and the diagrams were helpful. Overall an excellent pattern. The only thing I thought was odd was the front tab attachment. The instructions have you machine stitch one side, then hand sew the other side. I don't know about you, but my hand sewing looks very little like my machine sewing. I sewed on both sides by machine. It required some careful fabric positioning, but it worked.

One of the things I love about this pattern is the back. The lower panel is darted for a very close fit, but without looking too tight. I'm generally not a fan of darts in a knit top, but these are great.
From the side, you can see how it follows the curve of my back, but without revealing any untoward lumps and bumps. I actually didn't make any alterations for my full bust. The front gathers allow for a lot of extra space up there, so it fits well without the FBA, but I don't have as many gathers as the model on the pattern envelope. The fabric is a thinnish ITY from FFC. It's actually a pretty true red, but I couldn't get my camera to capture it well. It's reading as pink, but it really isn't pink at all.
The only alterations that I made were to lengthen the top 3 inches, and to raise the neckline. Oh, Burda and those necklines... Fortunately, this is easily done without any pattern adjustments. Center front of the upper bodice is seamed and self faced. for a higher neckline, you just have to seam it higher! I think this pattern is a winner, and I'm thinking I may make it up again in a grey rayon jersey that I've been hoarding.

13 comments:

Sam Rose said...

That's really nice. I like the length and the way it flows.

Pam said...

You ARE on a knit spree . . . . and I LOVE IT!! Great job!!

Kitschy Coo said...

This is a great top on you for both colour and fit! You always tempt me with new patterns :)

Eugenia said...

Lovely top, it has so many nice style details and I love your beautiful fabric - it really suits you!

Varina said...

Hmmmm, the empire waist looks to be riding a bit high. While far from boob-bisection, and still nice looking, before you make it again you might drop the waist by about an inch or two.
Also, great color on you.

Amy said...

Great looking top!

Tanit-Isis said...

This is totally, totally cute. love everything about it. :D

Marjie said...

On my monitor, that color is a true red, and looks just great with your hair! It's a very nice top. (And I hate the weird instructions like your half hand sewn tab, too; I always find a way to do it all by machine.)

auntninn said...

So cute! I love the sleeves and the fit in the back.

Jane M said...

Wow, this top looks fabulous on you. Yup, love the design and fit on this one, it's a winner.

Joy said...

Such an interesting design and I think it looks great on you, especially in the red. I'm sure I could never pull it off, being the same unbusty version of your shape, hehe!

And my, you're productive. Do tell me your house is trashed, or something?

MushyWear said...

This is a very flattering style on you and the shade of red looks beautiful.

Unknown said...

I love the fabric and I love it that you made it in a shorter length. I've only seen this pattern made up in a dress.