Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ottobre 06/2010-10 - the "Eleonor" dress

After some therapeutic snap pounding, Myra's dress is done.
I brought it out of the garage and Myra insisted on wearing it immediately.  I think it's pretty darn adorable on her.  It's perfect to coordinate with the boys.
The pattern is Ottobre 06/2010-10.  They call it the Eleonor dress.  Otto made their version with the bib in a solid and the body of the dress in a print.  I reversed it to better mesh with the boys' outfits. I made a size 98, which is just a touch too big, but I'd rather she have room to grow then have it be too small for Easter.
I cut the bib on the bias, which looks cute, but was very tricky to sew.  The pintucks came out straight only with the help of a large quantity of starch. The snaps made the front placket ripple just a tiny bit. The interfacing is on grain and that helped stabilize that area. I did get the attachment for pearl snaps for my snap setter, and it is great! No more cracked snaps!
Another detail shot. These are my first pintucks and I'm pretty darn proud of them! You can see in this picture that the inside neckline is finished with a strip of bias rather than enclosed in the collar or faced.  It's a very neat finish and looks RTW, IMHO. The only thing I disliked about the pattern was the finish for the sleeve slit.  Otto called for a narrow hem, but I did a continuous lap instead. I was already cutting a strip of bias for the neckline, so I just cut two and used the extra for the sleeve.  Much nicer! I'm also happy with my collar! I always forget to trim my undercollar piece and the seam tends to roll to the right side. Well, this time I made a separate pattern piece for the undercollar. It worked beautifully and all the seams roll to the inside.  I'm very happy with how this dress turned out. Next I'll be working on mine, but first I have a surprise to make.  I'll reveal all once it has been gifted!

15 comments:

  1. very cute! I've been eying this dress since it came out. I really must bump it up the list!

    word verification: "flogess"... um... a lady who flogs? how odd...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute! I got the snap setter from Snap Source, and it works great. Although my husband always wants to know "Why do you need a hammer and vice in the sewing room?" Duh, to set snaps and flatten jean hems!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The pintucks look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i recently made pintucks on a bias cut fabric! It was very difficult. I didn't think to use starch. I sure will next time. This is adorable and even more so since it will coordinate with the boys' outfits! I can't wait to see a picture of all three together.
    You are a very talented seamstress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's darling! I think choosing the gingham for the bib was a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! Great job and I can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pintucks are to die for, and the whole thing is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute. Has anyone mentioned Myra looks like you? :-) I've been following your blog for about a year, and it suddenly struck me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute cute dress! Hehe... you have been busily sewing away for the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is such a cutie! If you've missed me commenting on your blog it's because everytime I visit your site it locks up my computer and I don't know what is causing thatl

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! You are an awesome mommy to make such an involved dress for a little one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pintucks! I forgot how much I love them. Myra is a doll.
    :)Deb M.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So adorable! Great job on getting all the Easter sewing done for all your little ones. You definitely deserve some "me" sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute and she looks thrilled with it. :)

    ReplyDelete