Monday, March 7, 2011

New Look 6816 & Butterick 5330 PJs

I know I'm supposed to be Easter sewing, and I have started, but my PJs were in such a sad state that I took a quick break to sew up a new set.
The top was New Look 6816, which is a pattern I've used many times.  I used a very light single jersey from FFC.  The pants are Butterick 5330, which isn't a PJ pattern.  I wanted a slightly slimmer leg, and PJ pants are always too voluminous.  The fabric for the pants is a rib knit that I think also came from FFC.
I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on these, but I still wanted them to be nice.  I constructed both pieces on the serger.
Instead of a neckband, I used FOE on the neckline.
I lettuce edged all the hems, which turned out really cute and was a huge time saver.  I thought this was a good opportunity to practice this technique.  I used the serger, set for a narrow rolled hem, with the differential feed on 0.7 and stretched the fabric as I sewed.  You could also do it with a narrow zigzag, but I never felt I got as good a result that way.  My serger does it beautifully and quickly.
All told, it took about 20 minutes to cut these out, then just under an hour to sew up.  So, I don't feel to guilty about setting aside the Easter gear. I have gotten started!
Here are both boys' shirts and the contrast bib and collar for Myra's dress.  All those little pieces!  I was surprised at how little waste I had, considering how much was cut on the bias.  Now that they are all cut out, it's time to get sewing!

11 comments:

gwensews said...

Cute jammies! Sweet dreams.

Julia said...

These pjs look comfy! Boy you did get a lot of pieces on that one piece of fabric. It looks like it is only about 1 1/2 yds, maybe less) in the photo. what pattern are you using for the boys shirts? That's what I'm starting on today, if I can get myself in gear. These dadgum allergies are about to get me down.

Tawny said...

Wow! Great layout! I love when I can use my jigsaw puzzle skills to make everything fit correctly and have no waste. :) Terrific. I'm impressed.

Marjie said...

It's amazing how much you can get out of fabric when using little pieces. I made matching skirt and top sets for all 3 of my girls from a ribbed knit once, and a friend of my oldest admired it, so I whipped up a set for her, too. All 4 girls were under 9 at the time, and I think it took me about 3 yards of fabric.

And sometimes you just need a couple of hours of sewing something you want to motivate you to do something that has a deadline, right?

Joy said...

I always put off the pjs for myself but realize, as you said, they take so little time, it's worth stopping other things to just do them already.

I'm amazed at the pattern layout! I hate having scraps leftover. They just pile up and pile up.

auntninn said...

So cute! Lettuce edging is one of my favorite serger features, too.

Big in Japan said...

Ahh, the lettuce hem, just another reason I need a serger! Love the nighty night fabric too.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Very impressive pattern layout! Cute PJs, too.

Louiz said...

Wow, that layout looks impressive:)

Eugenia said...

Very cute pjs - I love the lettuce hem.

amber said...

Cute jammies and that is a seriously impressive fabric layout.