Monday, April 12, 2010

BWOF 04-2009-112

I've wanted to make this top for some time, but several factors stopped me.
Looks simple enough, doesn't it?  Well, this pattern comes from my very first issue of BWOF, which my sister brought home from Switzerland for me.  She's a wonderful enabler and I love her for it!  It began my love affair with burda.  But, the issue is in French, and while I took some French in High School, it's been a few years.  I also really wanted to use this striped slinky knit to make it.  Stripe matching + slinky knit = definite swearing.  When Mom was here last weekend, she gave me some slinky sewing tips that she learned at Expo, so I just decided I was going to throw caution to the wind!
And check out the mad stripe matching!!  Across the sleeve seam and across the body!  And can you even see the side seam in the top pic?  Now, this pattern is made up in a stripe in the mag, so you'd think it would work well in a stripe, wouldn't you??
What happened to my raglan seams????  There was no possible way to match them.  There are 4 stripes on the body and five on the sleeve.  What's going on, burda??
Of course, the back is mismatched as well, although I did get the bottom stripe to match.  Grrr.

Well, I still like this top, but if I make it again, it won't be in a stripe!!  And I'll lengthen it.  It was way short, so I had to add the band at the bottom.  I actually think it works with the cuffs and neckband.  I think this ends my string of navy.  Maybe I'll actually have to *gasp* thread my sewing machine!

As for the sewing of slinky, I actually didn't think it was all that bad, although I wouldn't recommend it for your first knitwear!  I used the recommendations from "More Fabric Savvy" as well as these great tips.  I used a 130/705 H-S stretch needle with poly metrosene thread and a narrow (0.5 on my machine) but long (3 for me) triple zigzag for the seams.  I decreased the presser foot pressure significantly and used a Teflon foot to reduce stretching in the seams.  A walking foot or serger with differential feed would have been great, but I don't have either of those things, so I made do, and it worked out fine.  Since I ended up using a band at the hems, I didn't need to hem it, but from my reading I had decided that I was going to use the steam a seam lite with twin needle method.  Since I didn't I can't really comment on that.

Despite my stripe mismatch, I'm happy with my first foray into slinky.  You should give it a go, too!  It's such a great fabric to wear!

17 comments:

Michelle said...

super-cute!!! I love the raglan sleeves, and the stripes in different directions on the waistband and sleevebands. Very, very cute!

Heather said...

I can never seem to match stripes no matter how hard I try. This top is cute on you and I really like the bottom band!

meli88a said...

you have the most amazing stripe-matching mojo!

Beangirl said...

I LOVE this top. I would never have guessed that the band was an add-on. Nifty stripe matching too.


You can buy a reasonable serger for about $250. Just saying. ;-)

lsaspacey said...

As Tim Gunn would say, 'You Made It Work!' It looks great and I'm more impressed with the stripes lining up across the body and sleeves than if they lined up at the raglan lines. It looks great.

Joy said...

I love this top and your additon on the band at the bottom. I bought stripes specifically for this top even though I've never been even close to successful at matching stripes!

Mary Nanna said...

lurve it! I remember this top and I remember thinking, "2 piece sleeve with stripe to match down the centre, I don't think so!"

You did a great job. EmilyKate once tried to match stripes across the armhole to centre front and found it impossible - she then found it really is impossible - the arm scythe cannot match the front.

So there you go - no shame to you for not making everything matchy matchy match!

I totally love this top - the colour, the drape, the fit - hope you get lots of wear out of it.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Love the cuffs and hem bands! Stripes are always such a pain, but I think the trouble you took to match (as far as possible) was worth it.

Sascha said...

Super cute and really flattering top! I was thinking about a striped shirt for the Spring Challenge, but I'm too lazy for that. Kudos to you.

Marybeth said...

I like it alot! I think you got the important stripes to match - along the side seams (you're right - I CAN'T see the seam!) If they weren't matching it would have looked funny... But the raglan sleeve seams look really cute the way they are! Also, the fit is really great :)))

Sarah C said...

I love it. I think that the side seam stripes being matched is good enough. I love that the band matches the cuffs and neck. I think it is fun! Congrats.

Sarahbelle said...

That turned out very nice!! matching EVERY stripe on a shirt/sleeves is difficult, at best. At least it's not obvious. I love wearing (and washing) slinky knits, too.
I wouldn't, however, recommend matching stripes on a first-time slinky attempt!!!
That's a great pattern!

Pam said...

Again - I love this project!! One of my favorites - you're certainly on a roll and the black is slimming! I would not have even noticed the mismatched striped unless you pointed them out and even then, I say, no biggie:)

Trudy said...

You did an awesome job. It's super cute. Love the matching job you did and the cuffs and hem bands.

Karin (the mrs) said...

That's a great top, it fits you wonderful! Is it really bad that I'm not that focussed on matching stripes/checks/patterns at all? I just don't seem to be bothered that much if things don't match. I guess that I'm a bit weird in that area :-)

I'm impressed by the way, because of all the sewing you get done. How do you do that, what's your secret?! :-)

Angela said...

I think it looks great! I love the vertical stripes on the bands.

amber said...

I love this top! I had no idea the band at the bottom was an add-on. It looks fantastic and I love the different direction of the stripes for the cuffs and band. So incredibly cute!