Monday, March 29, 2010

She sews!

Not me - the new-to-me vintage Singer 603E that I told you about in this post. I got a new throat plate and bobbin cover on Ebay and oiled her, and she sews like a dream!!
For her first project, I didn't want to tax either of us too much, so I made a pair of quick knit shorts for Logan (who is potty training and needs tons of easy on and off bottoms).  It gave me a chance to check out her zigzag stitch.  I even installed the elastic the Ottobre way by sewing through the elastic and she didn't have any trouble with it at all.  And let me just say, when I push on that knee lever - she GOES!  Janome is fast, but this baby flies through a seam.  So fun!

Now I just have to play with all her feet, cams, attachments and (cackles with glee) the buttonholer!  I have seen some beautiful buttonholes made on vintage machines.  I love Janome, but her performance in the buttonhole department is lackluster at best.  I can't wait to see how the Singer performs.

She needs a name...

8 comments:

gwensews said...

You'll enjoy having another machine. I like to use one machine just set up for top-stitchihg, for instance. And, when one machine is in the shop for repair, you have a back-up. Enjoy getting to know your new baby!

Heather said...

Yay! So glad she's workin' for you! My favorite machine to this day is my Mom's 30+ year old Kenmore!

Joy said...

Very fun! I wonder how hard it would be to get used a lever.

Kathi said...

Looks like you are having fun!!

Pam said...

Hurray!! I'm so glad you had a chance to use it - I can't wait to hear more!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Congratulations! I'm jealous of you and Gwen. You should have seen me changing thread for topstitching every 10 minutes at sewing camp. Having two machines seems so luxurious!

Michelle said...

Congratulations on your new machine!! I really like having multiple machines, I just leave one of them always set up with the buttonholer, it is great!

amber said...

YAY! I'm glad to hear that she is such a doll. :)